Re: rewiring PC557 for 220V?

NO. A capacitor across the line would simply draw current, and maybe explode. A capacitor in series would drop the voltage to the motor, but the speed would vary wildly. There must be more. If you can scan the diagram, I'll have a look. Email me direct and let me know. We'll post the answer. Wilson

specify
off
question
Use a transformer to step the voltage down. On a universal motor it doesn't make any difference if it's 50 or 60 Hz.

Anyway, my question

specify
The website and the user manual say 120V only. Couldn't find any mention of 230V wiring anywhere. Probably best to contact Porter Cable directly.
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (52

I use the European version of the 577. If there's any useful info in the manual I can scan / fax it to you. Let me know. Otherwise it's transformer time. Rgds
Noel
noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
volts, it needs to be a biggie!
And for the rest here, Porter Cable has parts diagrams on their web site, .pdf format. Greg