Re: Redwood Decking Board Sizes

- Thurston Howell -

What criteria might I use in determing deck (surface) boards. I am > considering at 2x6, 2x8 ,2x10 and 2x12 redwood. > Other than aesthetic and cost issues, are there any

durability/practical

reasons not to use the wider boards?

- Nehmo ? A wider board, all other things being equal, makes for a stronger deck, so there are no structural reasons for not using wide boards.

Cupping can be minimized by using sufficient number of fasteners.

The only disadvantage of a wide piece of lumber is its cost, but very often a wider board, considering the area covered, isn?t that much more expensive.

[Crossposted:news:alt.building.construction news:rec.woodworking ]
Reply to
Nehmo