Re: Rec Room Dance Floor

: I want to put an 8'x8' wood dance floor in my FROG (family room over : garage), it is carpeted. : : Initial thought was laminate over a couple of 4x8's of some sheet good. : Would hope to let the entire thing float, as in leave the carpet intact. : Has this wheel been invented already? : : How do I join the sheet goods together? Is laminate a good surface for Tap : Dance practice? The studio where my wife and daughter attend uses a type of : 4x8 sheet good with a caulking in the joints. : : Any input will be appreciated : : Thanks : Frank : : When my daughter started in tap I put down left over Bruce flooring over 3/4 plywood. It worked out quite well and looked very nice. The flooring over the plywood gave that nice crisp tap tap tap.
What type of edge did you finish with? How big was your floor?
Thanks fm

Tap
type of

3/4 plywood. It worked out

nice crisp tap tap tap.

The floor was only a 4x8. I edged it with 1/4 round to soften the edge. Putting 2 sheets together on carpet I would build a frame out of 1x or 2x to keep the plywood from flexing. On the edge a bevel or profile could be put on a board that is edge glued, nailed, to the floor
: > : I want to put an 8'x8' wood dance floor in my FROG (family room over : > : garage), it is carpeted. : > : : > : Initial thought was laminate over a couple of 4x8's of some sheet good. : > : Would hope to let the entire thing float, as in leave the carpet intact. : > : Has this wheel been invented already? : > : : > : How do I join the sheet goods together? Is laminate a good surface for : Tap : > : Dance practice? The studio where my wife and daughter attend uses a : type of : > : 4x8 sheet good with a caulking in the joints. : > : : > : Any input will be appreciated : > : : > : Thanks : > : Frank : > : : > : : > When my daughter started in tap I put down left over Bruce flooring over : 3/4 plywood. It worked out : > quite well and looked very nice. The flooring over the plywood gave that : nice crisp tap tap tap. : > : > : :
I've made a floor for ballet, modern, etc. Neoprene pads every two feet elevated 2x4's laid flat. Then, laying perpendicular, were 2x4's every 2 feet. On top of that were 3/4" tongue and groove 4x8 sheets screwed down to the 2x4's. The floor has a nice spring to it. Maybe too much for tap though - I don't know.