Re: Rant - This country is screwed up

Page 1 of 2
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

What qualifies a person to receive a free phone?
Lew
On 10/14/2014 9:58 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

http://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/basics/qualify
Where I live they are restricted to 300 minutes. You can buy extra, and the phones are very cheap types.

--
pentapus

The origin of this was Obama promising free shit for votes from the parasites. Parasites don't look for jobs, so there is no real need for the phone except for making dope deals and taking selfies.

On 10/15/2014 12:43 AM, JohnnyDollar wrote:

Do you ever think? Or do you just say the first thing that was fed into your mind?
Obama, had little to do with this.

--
pentapus

On 10/15/2014 4:24 AM, pentapus wrote:

Right, Obama did not start it, but he made sure his potential voters knew of the program and got the free phones.
Just another conniving politician. The man is half white, but he used his blackness to get elected.
On 10/15/2014 8:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think you missed what is going on. The man responsible for all those tents with "free phones" is Carlos Slim:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim
Who owns Tracfone and a whole lot more.
What probably confuses you is that el Rushbo pushed the video of that Cleveland woman going off on her "Obamaphone", others picked up on it That is how it got in the popular lexicon.

Anybody could have beat McCain the year that the recession hit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession
Being black is not what got him elected. It was the complete and failing mess the country was in. Being half white helped.

--
pentapus

Shouldn't this rant be in a .politics group instead of a woodworking group? ------ The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/cellphone.asp
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

Woodworkers like to rant too :)

Want to make book on how many don't?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/14/2014 8:58 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:41:07 +0000 (UTC), Baxter

Ever hear of a "kill file" or "next" key? Instead of becoming a netkop, learn to use one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

http://www.obamaphone.com/get-obama-phone

Gee, I wonder if I should give up my rotary dial, pulse phone? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/21/2014 3:29 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I have a rotary dial app for my smart phone. ;-)
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Once I determined that I didn't need an electronic nurse maid (AKA: Cell Phone), my communication needs became straight forward.
When I started looking at cell phones (1990), they were very expensive, bulky, required a bulky equipment installation in the vehicle including an antenna and had many dead spots just when you needed your cell most.
Finally they got rid of the bulky equipment in the vehicle, but it was still a very expensive system and usage rates were high.
Prices for hardware kept dropping, coverage kept improving, but my needs just never got to the point I could justify the hardware and usage costs.
My customers could always get a call back if they left a message on my voice mail and that was drove my whole thought process.
If I didn't lose orders, there was no need to solve a problem that didn't exist.
Local and Long Distance is covered by Magic Jack for $20/year.
High Speed ISP service is another $50/month.
A "Burn" phone makes some sense these days if you are traveling.
Air travel isn't what it once was.
If you are a woman traveling by herself these days, then a cell phone becomes a security tool in addition to a communication device.
Different ball game.
Lew
On 10/21/2014 10:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

We've converted "wants" to "needs". The world managed to get by without the use of cell phones for a long time. They are convenient, but you can still get through life without one.
We used to walk to school about 1 1/2 miles in the dark because the sun was not invented yet. Now, Johnny needs a cell phone because something bad might happen while he walks three blocks to school.
When I was on the road in sales, I'd call into the office twice a day for messages. Now the customer can call directly to the cell phone. Questionable as to whether that is an improvement.
On 10/22/2014 7:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Have you seen the absence of pay phones? ;~)
That and breaking down on the highway are the number one reasons that we all made the switch 6 years ago.

Yeah, I kinda miss them.
I joined the navy in July, 1951 when I was just shy of 18. Since I was from Indiana, they naturally sent me to San Diego for boot camp. One of the first things I learned from the California guys was how to make a pay phone think a penny was a nickel (calls were $0.05 back then). About the second thing was what to do with a cup of coffee and a benzedrine inhaler. Those CA guys were a caution :)

I ain't gonna switch, no need, my wife has one. I hate it.
--

dadiOH
"Leon" wrote:

Did you see the bit from the UK the other day?
They are running a test in London by converting abandoned pay phone booths into charging stations for phones/electronics/etc.
Lew

Sure, I don't *need* a smart phone but it the real-time Navi was very nice driving down to the bowels of Atlanta during rush hour (both ways). It's also *nice* read the news when I'm waiting in line, the doctor's office, or whatever.

Johnny can't play in the dirt with his friends, either. The only sports are organized by the parents (or schools). I always thought pick up games were far more fun than organized games. Who needs parents getting all serious? ;-)

I'm at the other end of the phone but I think it's definitely an improvement. I can get ahold of support or sales people quickly. I imagine they're pretty useful for building contractors, too.