Re: Raised panel door construction

I masked the panels.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

I have always read that one should finish the panels in raised panel > doors before gluing up the rails and stiles. I am in the middle of a > few doors and have the panels finished. > > How do I finish the frame without getting stain and lacquer on the > panel? > > > snipped-for-privacy@wood-workers.com
Reply to
Micro*

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:26:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wood-workers.com (Mike) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

stain or dye them,,,not topcoat. this is to prevent glue squeezout from inhibiting the stain or dye from penetrating your panel. that said, i don't do it this way. i have yet to glue a panel to the inside of the frame. let er float, and she wont bust up your door. Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

The masking works good. Be sure to use a good quality painters masking tape.

The reason for prefinishing the panel is to prevent unstained edges from showing if the wood shrinks in the winter when the humidity is low.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale