Re: Putting 10 lbs. of Tools In a 5 lb. Shop

Page 2 of 3
Lots of good storage ideas thanks. BUT, no one mentioned a Garage Sale. If you have lots of hardware left over from past projects and you advertise your sale in a local paper, you'd be surprised at the local tradesman who will come to pick up discounted hardware.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying

Ok, getting rid of the garage would solve nothing... ;~)
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote: (clip) I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more tools and supplies into your personal homeshop.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have 5 gallon buckets hanging from pulleys in my garage/shop. I also have a scrollsaw hangingup there. To give you an idea how short of space I am, the scrollsaw goes on top of the washing machine when I need to use it.
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:41:26 -0700, Too_Many_Tools

All infeed, outfeed, and fence tables become cabinets. Lot's of storage space availale if you do that.
Infeed and outfeed for RAS or miter saw can also be infeed and outfeed for portable planer by building in a "plug" that allows the planer to be recessed at feed level.
Peg board your walls.
Wood storage racks above the tools on the walls.
And, of course, everything on a mobile base that does not have a permanent infeed and outfeed.
Frank
Paint the place off-white. If it can't be spacious, at least it can look and feel spacious.
David Merrill

Sat, Sep 8, 2007, 6:41pm (EDT-3) too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) wands advice: Well it is about time to do another reorganization of the ole home shop. ;<) I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more tools and supplies into your personal homeshop. Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.
Well, the first advice I have is for you to tell what size shop you have. Then what tools you have. Details you know.
My shop is 8'X12'. I have a 37" center wood lathe, on a shop-made stand. Planer on shop-made stand. Bench saw, on a shop-made stand. Bench drill press. Router table - four spare routers. Bench bandsaw. Scrollsaw. Arc welder. and so on. Plus various hand tools, both power and non-power. And various items of my younger son - radio control boat, etc., etc. And I have a folding chair.

Where do you keep the beer barrel?
Sun, Sep 9, 2007, 4:29pm (EDT+5) d@p (DaveGordon) doth query: Where do you keep the beer barrel?
No prob, I don't drink any more. Not good to drink in the shop anyway.
Sun, Sep 9, 2007, 10:54am snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JT) formerly did posteth thusly: <snip> My shop is 8'X12'. I have a 37" center wood lathe, on a shop-madestand. Planer on shop-made stand. Bench saw, on a shop-made stand. Bench drill press. Router table - four spare routers. Bench bandsaw. Scrollsaw. Arc welder. and so on. Plus various hand tools, both power and non-power. And various items of my younger son - radio control boat, etc., etc. And I have a folding chair.
Drat. Forgot to mention my Tiki, air compressor, ten .50 cal ammo cans for storage, small belt/disc sander, grinding wheel, hand belt sender, hand power planer, 3 or 4 drills, chainsaw, project patterns, wood storage, scrap wood storage, and my planer sleds. Hmm, seems to me I'm still forgetting something. At least the car engine is not still in there, even tho I do have a differentia, and a few carbsl. I need to upgrade my bench too. I have a shop, it's all paid for; life is basically good..
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (JT) formerly did

*trim*
You forgot your can of yellow paint for new tools.
HTH,
Puckdropper

Tue, Sep 11, 2007, 5:56am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: You forgot your can of yellow paint for new tools.
Damn, yer right; except it's actually a can of brush on yellow, and a can of spray yellow - the spry paint worked nicely on the ammo cans. I keep the red paint outside.
I've got a small heater I'll be using out there this winter too. The window fan should spread the heat nicely.
The kid finally moved his Jeep to his buddy's, so he can put an engine in it. Maybe now I can get him to move his other '52 Buick to where it was, so I can get a 12'X20' garage up - I want room to build a boat that's longer than 12'..

Can we assume that you're talking hand tools and such, not floor tools?
I relieve clutter with lots of drawers and pegboard.. I used to use shelves but limit that now because they attract more clutter..
A future project will be a set of shallow cabinets over the bench with doors made up of 2x1's and skinned on both sides with pegboard, with shallow shelves inside for those "where do I put these?"items that get in the way on the bench but seem to be needed within arm's reach..
If you have enough ceiling height, placing things like DC, compressor, planer, etc. on 12" or higher cabinets can store a LOT of stuff, also..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I acquired a free metal cabinet 18x36x72 free, it has lot of shelves set at the height for those cardboard bins. All of the screws and nails in the small boxes you get from Borg or Lowes fit nicely in the 4" wide bins. The rest of the bins have electrical parts, paint brushes, plumbing parts etc. In the two, 3 piece tool boxes are all the hand tools. One of the small roll around toolbox has the bench sander on top with supplies inside. The other has the planer on top when in use with routers and bits inside. I don't have rafters in the garage but with heavy duty eye screws, rope and some 2x2's, I can place long 2x3's, 2x4's there. I had just finished putting up some more screw eyes for pieces up to 4' long up there also. One thing that will help is to get rid of things you don't use anymore. I have too much scrap lumber I may "need" someday.

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:41:26 -0700, Too_Many_Tools

The biggest wasted space in my shop is under the stationary tools. If I really run out of space I'll start replacing the stands with cabinets. I have assorted crap stuffed under some of them, but most of it is not being used efficiently. If you aren't using the space under your bench then that's a big one too.
I gained a lot of space rearranging things in the shop. I used to have a big metal shelving unit near the workbench. When I needed to fit another stationary tool in I pulled the workbench out from the wall and stuck the shelving unit in there. I lost some working space from the middle of the shop, but gained precious wall space. This is specific to my shop, but it goes to show a simple rearrangement can find you space you didn't know you had. Of course once you've rearranged everything half a dozen or so times already there isn't going to be too much more to be gained.
-Leuf

When I started making my shop (in my basement, with about a 17' x 27' footprint, minus annoying things like stairs, furnace, and lolly columns), one of the first things I did was build a workbench. Nothing fancy, just something banged together with 2x4's and plywood.
I figured I wanted a big surface, so I made it about 30" deep. This turned out to be a mistake. Sure, it's nice to have an aircraft-carrier sized space to work on, but it's so deep I can't comfortably reach the wall behind it and I lose out on all that storage space. If I were planning it all again, I'd go for a shallower bench.
I have a relatively low ceiling (about 7 feet). This really annoying (especially when trying to store 8 foot panels!), but I do take advantage of the space between the joists for storage. I store my bar clamps up there, for example.

Roy.... been there, done that...
My first bench was 6' x 3' and in the middle of the shop... did little but get in the way, so I moved it against the wall.. Being 36" deep, the foot or so against the wall became an instant shit collector, of course..
My current bench is 6' x 2' and still collects things like a magnet, but at least it's less space to clear off when I do something that I actually need a bench for..
My last shop had exposed joists, too... I spent a few years dreaming up uses for them... One of the best was slotted 2x6's between the joists with the slots facing the ceiling... great over the work bench for squares, dowel saws, etc...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Put in a mezzanine. A small second floor that is for storage or the shop office or something like that. Maybe just a large stack of sorted boxes... Stuff that you can haul up and down. Maybe the desk...
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
mikee wrote:

-

simple ---
You need _one_more_tool_.
A motor-driven shoe-horn.

I am reminded of one of our hunting club members who once tried availing himself of the one pound coffee can he kept in his deer blind. He dropped trou and positioned himself over the empty can. But, it was too late when he realized he was going to unload [at least] two pounds worth! :o)))))))))))))))))))))))))
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Gotta watch that Texas deer camp food ... it'll get you one way or the other.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07