Re: Problem with PC-7518 depth adjust lock

Ha! ... about the only problem I have with my 7518 ... and one I have done nothing about either.
The problem is the heat buildup during use causes the metal to expand, tightening the nut beyond human ability to un-tighten without pliers ... something I keep handy for just that.
There is a solution (which I haven't bothered with because I tend to forget the frustration between uses) that involves using a bicycle seat clamp to replace the current locking assembly. You can find more about it at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bicycle+clamp+%22router%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=slrn965rgo.skg.mvore%40snowmass.mystic.loc&rnum=2
Good luck ... and let us know if you do the fix, and what parts you needed. A regular here has a picture on their website, but can't remember who it is ... hopefully they, or someone with a better memory, will chime in.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/28/03
[...]

Ah, this makes sense. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. Not that I'm happy you had the problem, per-se, just relieved that I don't have some kind of wierd degenerative disease sapping the strength from my fingers in the loosen direction :-)
LOL ... what is amazing to me is that somehow the big wing nut _always_ ends up positioned so that you can NOT get a good grip on it with your fingers.
I just keep a set of water pump pliers with the collet wrenches. One of these days I will explore the bicycle seat clamp "upgrade".
BTW, PC has apparently solved this issue, but from what I understand, it is not backward compatible with our older 7518's.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/28/03