Re: Problem with PC-7518 depth adjust lock

Ha! ... about the only problem I have with my 7518 ... and one I have done nothing about either.

The problem is the heat buildup during use causes the metal to expand, tightening the nut beyond human ability to un-tighten without pliers ... something I keep handy for just that.

There is a solution (which I haven't bothered with because I tend to forget the frustration between uses) that involves using a bicycle seat clamp to replace the current locking assembly. You can find more about it at:

luck ... and let us know if you do the fix, and what parts you needed. A regular here has a picture on their website, but can't remember who it is ... hopefully they, or someone with a better memory, will chime in.

Reply to
Swingman

Ha! ... about the only problem I have with my 7518 ... and one I have done nothing about either.

The problem is the heat buildup during use causes the metal to expand, tightening the nut beyond human ability to un-tighten without pliers ... something I keep handy for just that.

There is a solution (which I haven't bothered with because I tend to forget the frustration between uses) that involves using a bicycle seat clamp to replace the current locking assembly. You can find more about it at:

luck ... and let us know if you do the fix, and what parts you needed. A regular here has a picture on their website, but can't remember who it is ... hopefully they, or someone with a better memory, will chime in.

Reply to
Swingman

Ah, this makes sense. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. Not that I'm happy you had the problem, per-se, just relieved that I don't have some kind of wierd degenerative disease sapping the strength from my fingers in the loosen direction :-)

Reply to
Roy Smith

LOL ... what is amazing to me is that somehow the big wing nut _always_ ends up positioned so that you can NOT get a good grip on it with your fingers.

I just keep a set of water pump pliers with the collet wrenches. One of these days I will explore the bicycle seat clamp "upgrade".

BTW, PC has apparently solved this issue, but from what I understand, it is not backward compatible with our older 7518's.

Reply to
Swingman