Re: Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard

Rich,
I used the standard base in my old router table. Fine adjustments are not very easy as you have to put your hands underneath the table and twist the motor body to change height. The real problem I had is that wood chips got in between the motor and the based and scored the metal causing the base to be difficult to adjust. Now I have a new table and have mounted the plunge base. Works much better now that I have added a fine adjustment handle. Neither of these is an ideal solution as there are much better table routers out there (some of the Milwaukees have through the base adjustments built in), but the plunge base works better for me.
Noel

The Bosch 1617 is extremely easy to adjust when mounted in a table with it's fixed base. The switch stays in the same place, too. Bosch sells a kit with an extra fixed base with no handles, and an extension rod for the adjuster, for about $50 (Tool Crib). This allows you to regain use of the original fixed base and simply swap the motor in and out of the table.
Since the OP hasn't purchased the router yet, I'd suggest checking out the Bosch.
Barry
The 690 with standard base is a great set up for a router table. The twist base makes adjustments easily. It's a simple no hassle work horse.
--
Rumpty

When in doubt, go with the 690. When router accessories are made, they are built first to fit that workhorse. Mine is also set on a table saw wing. Go get another 1001 base for a few bucks and keep it fixed on the router taable. That way you can install the router motor with a twist in the bayonet mount.
I even do frame and panel doors with it. Just take light cuts.