Re: Porter Cable 557 Plate Joiner Question

Have you checked to see if the blade is tight? Sounds like it may be loose.

Mine makes the same noise, as does my angle grinder. I am sure it is just "gear lash", clearance in the gears making noise. Don't worry about it. Greg
Mine makes the same noise
Ken

That was my first thought, I did remove and reset the blade and had the same sound.

That was my first thought, I did remove and reset the blade and had the same sound.

I had that thought last night, so I removed and reset the blade (it was on *VERY* tight) and had the same sound.

Did you check to see if the blade was tight...;~)

The 557 (and angle grinders in general) use a bevel spur gear to make the right angle turn from the motor to the blade shaft. Since the gears are straight cut, there is some meshing slop which makes for a fair bit of backlash (and noise)
-Bruce