Re: Petition Sawstops Directly

Yeah, if the blade is moving at 4000rpm and the reaction time is 5 milliseconds, all those sharp little teeth make a full revolution+. It's a lot easier, cheaper and less painful to be careful. :-)

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Ah ha! I knew there was a reason I agreed with all of you! :)

Seriously - missed that cogent point of the thread.

Ok - so if the Feds mandate SawStop then they should force SS to license the technology for a pittance. Then we let competition back into the mix. We should end up with better and cheaper SawStop clones.

Reply to
tnfkajs

sure. next time you're there, ask them what the penalty is for disabling an airbag (without proper authorization), venting freon, or removing a catalytic converter and putting in a straight pipe. granted, one has to be caught, but don't you think there'll be ts police?

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

message

I'd love to see them try to get a warrant.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

They must be. If they were liberal leaning Democrats they would be trying to push through a tax bill to make everyone pay for the SawStop, even if they didn't own a tablesaw.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

That's the objective of every business, and it's the objective of researching and developing an idea like SawStop into a product. As it should be, of course.

Yep, that's bad. Unfortunately, it's the easy way to make money: force people to give it to you at gunpoint. To avoid being charged with armed robbery, you use the government's guns to collect the money for you.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

It doesn't, other than the issue of patent-protected exclusivity.

I don't know about David, but it surpassed "enough" with the very first law protecting people from themselves. On a national (U.S.) level, that was probably the first regulations of narcotics in the 1930s (?).

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I like the part in the petition where they state that the average consumer does not have enough information to make an informed choice, but the CPSC does have enough information. If they truly believed that, they could publish the information to the general public to help educate them, and then see if their product is purchased. This could be accomplished by including an information pamphlet with each saw instead of the complete system already installed.

It sounds like they just do not believe in the marketability of their own product enough to use fair market practices.

Reply to
KLS

Kevin Craig snarls:

I noted then, "Wanna bet that the owners of Sawstop are registered Republicans with a conservative bent?"

The only politics in that statement is an attribution of probable political party.

You find that offensive? Mistaken?

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yeah, but as it is, they'll force them on everyone, and the Republicans will borrow enough money to give to the rich to make sure they can afford at least three.

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

it may have been in the fifties, a solid state switch in the auto would be a new thing, a new application of modern electronics.

if you want to poo poo somebody do it to the guy who invented the windshield in the first place ... it's all his fault.

Reply to
4 out of 5 dentists

Baseless.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Given the current behavior a la Medicare Prescription drug benefits, letting Teddy Kennedy craft the education bill, the unconstitutional denial of free speech rights in the campaign finance reform bill, you could be correct.

Hardly. More descriptive labels here would be "statist" / "libertarian -- with a small 'l'". The statist believes in the over- riding interest of the state over the individual, while the anti-statist libertarian holds that the state should limit its reach and exercise only the minimum power needed to maintain peace and secure borders. Unfortunately, we have been electing way too many statists of varying degrees from both parties. It used to be that the Republican party was predominantly anti-statist and promoted smaller federal government. This sadly appears to have changed, with a competition between both parties to see who can provide more "benefits" and "entitlements" in order to win votes.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... the mark of the true statist, the opinion that the "general public" is just too @#$% stupid and ignorant to know what is good for it.

but the government (i.e. the state) is an all-knowing, all-wise, and beneficient entity that needs to coddle and mother the poor doddering fools under its care to keep them from hurting themselves or others.

Pretty sickening attitude IMNSHO.

Having failed to win the market, they now turn to using the iron fist of government to accomplish their ends.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

Nice thought, particularly if implementation of SS causes accompanying loss of precision, alignment or other problems.

However, I will bet dimes to donuts that the clever so-and-so's making the rules will have already thought of that, and in crafting their regulations will make removal and/or alteration of an SS equipped saw, or providing retrofits for said saws a felony in the same manner as removing or altering a car's emission control system.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I find it a use of political labels. Two posts later in the thread, you (correctly) said that it doesn't pay to use political labels in such situations.

Offensive? No. Ironic? Yes.

That's why I wanted to know if you intended it as sarcasm when you implied the SawStop owners were Republicans with a conservative bent. I can't imagine any basis for your statement otherwise, and it leaves me scratching my head as to your possible meaning.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Are you sure? The supreme court just refused to hear a case, and left standing a decision that says copyrighted codes can be freely distributed once they are incorporated into laws. Granted this isn't a patent, but the government seems to think they can do anything they say they can do.

kenR

Patent attorneys IIRC

Reply to
Leon

ROTFLMAO>>>

Reply to
Leon

Naw,,, another good rain like the one 2 years ago and the Gulf Of Mexico will come here.

Reply to
Leon