Re: Petition Sawstops Directly

Page 1 of 3
Traves writes:

Wanna bet that the owners of Sawstop are registered Republicans with a conservative bent?
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
They may well be. I doubt that they are on the side of the "bought by trial lawyers" Democrats.
Phil
Charlie Self wrote:

PC writes:

Dunno. But I was told that all the owners of SawStop were lawyers...enginers, too, but also lawyers.
It really doesn't pay to use political labels in such situations, unless you have an absolute love of being wrong 70 or 80% of the time.
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:03:58 -0400, "4 out of 5 dentists" wrote:

But really now... Should something like that even have received a patent? Many of cars never had intermittent wipers. So, being of at least average intelligence, we used one hand to hit the switch every once in a while.
It is hardly an "invention" to put a delay on it.
-zach

patent
Well then by that reasoning, dusk to dawn lights shouldn't have a patent because anyone of average intelligence can turn on a light switch.

it may have been in the fifties, a solid state switch in the auto would be a new thing, a new application of modern electronics.
if you want to poo poo somebody do it to the guy who invented the windshield in the first place ... it's all his fault.
Patent attorneys IIRC
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah said: ...

snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah turns around and says: ...

We must suppose you don't mind being wrong 70 or 80% of the time then, mustn't we?
I prefer not to opine on subjects I'm ignorant of and let people wonder whether I'm a fool, rather than to commit myself and remove doubt. But to each, his own, I guess. Thanks for the candor.
--
Cheers,

Abe

Abe Froman foams:

FO, as our British cousins say.
Charlie Self
I think we agree, the past is over. George W. Bush
"Traves W. Coppock" wrote in message:

Kinda like registering your handguns . . . once they know you've got a TS - you're screwed. :-) I wonder if they'll levy a tax on the things and if they'll fine you without having one? Then when they come out each year and "test" your sawstop (at about a $125 fee of course) who will have to pay for the weiner? And who replaces it when the gov't idiot says : "It's okay now. Go ahead and replace it and fill out the new paperwork within 2 weeks."
Oh - I can see the proverbial "snowball" rolling downhill on this one!
Jums

And have us come and test the new one before you cut any wood with it to make sure it is functional...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
But then again . . .
I live in Texas and since we're going through a re-districting battle down here - maybe they'll have Houston in the Gulf of Mexico before it's all said and done and we won't have to worry about it! LOL!
Jim

said
Naw,,, another good rain like the one 2 years ago and the Gulf Of Mexico will come here.

from
No, emails are easily deletedand ignored. Remember that sawstop first tried to make a run by offereing their product to the public and not enough people were interested. They presumably have a lot of capital tied up in developing the product and want to recover their money. They are doing whatever they can think of.
If you want to object where it counts, the agency they are lobbying must be informed of our extreme disapproval. Who is it they are lobbying? Hopefully some elected body.
Frank
and their toll free number 800-638-2772
If SawStop is truly interested in safety and that is their primary objective they could make this technology available to all comers at a modest cost. I suspect that the reluctance of manufacturers to embrace the technology is not just the cost of incorporating the hardware changes but also a hefty license fee to SawStop. Has SawStop disclosed what the licensing terms are? Are they too onerous for a manufacturer to embrace them?
SawStop in my opinion has one objective: to make money. Since they can't sell to willing customers they want the Government to force customers to buy. This is wrong.
I have seen similar attempts waged by folks making air quality sensors. Watch for the use of those to be mandated broadly soon. The free market is a wonderful thing, for Government to destroy it by marketing selectively under the guise of safety is reprehensible.
Phil
David B. Chamberlain wrote:

It occurs to me that if the regulatory bodies voided patent rights if a particular device was mandated fewer companies would petition to get their pet idea required.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
snipped-for-privacy@my.shiny.metal.ass says...

Are you sure? The supreme court just refused to hear a case, and left standing a decision that says copyrighted codes can be freely distributed once they are incorporated into laws. Granted this isn't a patent, but the government seems to think they can do anything they say they can do.
http://www.gtwassociates.com/answers/veeck.htm
That's the objective of every business, and it's the objective of researching and developing an idea like SawStop into a product. As it should be, of course.

Yep, that's bad. Unfortunately, it's the easy way to make money: force people to give it to you at gunpoint. To avoid being charged with armed robbery, you use the government's guns to collect the money for you.
Kevin

from
While I tend to agree with you on this - can you help me understand how this differs from airbags and seat belts and (in some states) helmets?
The govt has long played a role in mandated "safety" - are you simply saying "Enough is enough?"
Thanks