Re: Passive fireplace heat circulator (Thank you!!!)

>Last place I saw them was at an "Ace" hardware, maybe you could track them >down via an Ace site? Something they could order for you?

Thank you, Josie. While a visit to their pages was unfruitful, it prompted me to call the local Ace stores which also was. That is until I called one that had an ol' timer there. Not only did he know exactly what I was talking about, he had just moved up from New Mexico, used to be a remodeling contractor and had salvaged an entire unit that was built into a fireplace and installed it as a permanent part of the new fireplace. He also had several suggestions of organizations that might have info about them, possibly even help with design if I wanted one custom built.

How l>Try one of these links I did DAGS for fireplace heat exchnager and got a >lot

of hits. The second link is probably the one you want to look at first, >they >have an optional fan you can attach to get more heat. > >

Thank you! That is *exactly* what I'm looking for. I'm on dial-up so will wait until I'm at work on Monday to follow up on this, but am optimistic that I'll soon be the owner of one. The price is in the range of what I expected to need to pay for one, so that wasn't a surprise. My last gas bill was over $100 as the cost of natural gas went up; mine usually runs $50 to $75 per month all winter so the $250 for this will soon be recouped in a winter. It'll also mean all of the old firewood will be burned sooner.

This group is so great! When I did an in-depth search for this before (two years, I think, maybe three), I looked at literally hundreds of pages. I search for "heat circulator," "heat exchanger," "fireplace insert," to name just a few. There was nothing that was not electrically powered and none of this design. They were all similar to what I already have which is definitely not workable as passive. Every fireplace supplier in the area got a personal visit from me, including the huge one in Portland that advertises if it's for a fireplace, they have it. Hmmm, not completely true.

Maybe all the telephone calls, emails, and letters made a difference after all. :-)

Again, thank you, both of you. This has been a huge help to me. I just

*knew* searching would be like before. There are times, I really *love* being mistaken!!!

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Glenna,

I missed the original post, so I am not quite sure what you were looking for. But, if your links don't work out, you might try looking for a "Texas Fire Frame." It is a passive devise that creates a cavity fire that radiates into the room, burns efficiently, starts easily, etc. I had one until we moved, but the fireplace here is too shallow for it. I had mine for at least 20 years, and loved it. They aren't made any more, but you might find one if you do a search.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson