Re: (Overpriced) Dust Collection Components

Anyone else ever do any of this?

No, I just used $1.95 PVC fittings. The buzz from the glue was a bonus.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

... snip

Haven't tried that. I need a whole bunch of Y's, I'm not sure I have that many 30 minutes available. I certainly agree about the high price of ductwork. I am trying to upgrade from my current 4" flex hose (that is killing the flow of my system) to 5" duct. So far, Oneida seems to be the best price, but that is still way more than I ever expected to pay for ductwork. Anybody know of an HVAC supplier in or near Tucson that might have 5" spiral duct and round Y's?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I got all my metal pipe at the borg they had the thinner pipe but if you dig you found the better stuff. the fittings are a bit flimsy but work fine. if you don't strain them while installing it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

My problem is not with whether I use spiral or snap-lock, my problem is that I need 5" ductwork. My DC is a 790 CFM collector, and with static pressure drops outside the trash can cyclone, the velocity in 6" duct is not high enough and static pressure drop in 4" duct work is too high -- 5" seems to be the sweet spot between velocity and static pressure drop.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

No, it's not.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I contemplated PVC, but couldn't find anything readily available larger than 4".

Reply to
Larry Bud

5" snap lock is available, but probably not at the Borg. Call a local HVAC shop and get a price from them. Probably will be cheaper than the Borg too. Have you tried 6"? My bet is in the main run the velocity will be just fine to keep the dust moving. Run 6" mains, 4" drops. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Not sure, I didn't buy one.

Yes, I understand that. But I have to imagine that the same machines cut the T's that you can buy for half price of a "Y".

Reply to
Larry Bud