Re: out of here

here on the Wreck if you need it. For example, you can obtain a copy of my tried-and-true filters by sending email to filterinfo /at/ milmac /dot/ com .
I used the filter in outlook and took some tweaking but very little crap gets through......Brian

I have one message rule that deletes messages with objectionable words in the subject line. There are only about 7 words (Carlin-esque) to look for - and it seems to be doing a great job!
All (if, not almost all) of the objectionable posts are deleted as soon as I connect.
That's exactly what I did, and to be safe, upper and lower case.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
KYHighlander wrote:

Heh heh... my grandfather used to refer to it as "smacking the wrong nail". <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
joey wrote:

Not really. I set up rules a long time ago and have found them to be VERY effective. The first I call my "Moron" rule and anyone who displeases me gets deposited there. The second one is my "Subject" rule which has a judicious number of rude words listed. Since these rules are applied universally, I'm not bothered in any newsgroup.
Do people think the wreck is the only place these miscreants post? Set up the rules and you're good to go almost forever. You can always add the occasional name or word as needed to keep them up to date.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

/at/ milmac /dot/ com and it will reply promptly with my current filter file, which gets updated every time one of these posts gets through my filters (not very often any more).

Doug, is this filter file useful only with something like nfilter? Or can I use it just to get a list of words for rules in Outlook Express?
Joey - I say give it a shot. I underestimated OE... thought it just wouldn't have enough flexibility in the rules. But, I finally took a few minutes to set up a news rule, added 6 words for it to look for in the "From" field, and set it to delete. That alone seems to take out all the crap that's flooded rec.woodworking in the last few days.
I'm sure I'll be adding more, but adding a word to the existing rule is 8 clicks and about 20 seconds.

It's an nfilter filter-file. But you can certainly use it as a word-list for OE, if it helps. Most of the stuff I'm filtering is on specific senders in the From: header (which I know you can use in OE) or on domains in the Message-ID: header (I don't know if you can filter on that in OE). The Subject: filters for the most part use regular expressions to weed out the garbage. I'm not sure if that will help you or not. But give it a try.
-- Regards, Doug Miller
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Nope, says a lot more about *political correctness" and CYA from the lawyers. About all you can do is say you don't like that kind of language. You can't punish the little twits, and they know it, as much as some of them deserve it. I work(volunteer) with my best friend, who teaches 2-3-4th grade spec. ed. for kids with emotional problems, from ADD, ADHD, bi-polar, to abuse(all kinds). These are kids who have been "in the system" virtually all their lives, and they have their *rights* down pat.
Better get off the soapbox.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

pickpocket. The kid was refusing to hand over the wallet and said "You can't hurt me, I'm a juvenile" or something like that.
My friend replied "I can kill you - I'll be in jail, but you'll be dead. Is that a fair trade?".
He got his wallet back :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

In general I agree, however the last idjit seems to have been effectively shut down by a couple of people taking the time to track his IP addy and complain.
So while not responding to the posts is certainly wise, doing nothing may not be the best approach.
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:00:38 -0600, Dave Balderstone

But do it QUIETLY! <G>
No need to advertise.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Oh, I don't know. It occurred to me that if the postmasater and webmaster at MIT don't much care or if the FCC doesn't have a jurisdiction that the peole in charge might be annoyed about it. I went over to the MIT site and found the Presidential search committee link, furnished them with some samples and told them that their postmaster and webmaster weren't doing anything about it. I suggested that they get a president that will. At the least it should upset them at the people who should be taking care of it. It's aadvertising it in a different place, that's all. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

That's fine, but that's a lot different than "I'm leaving" posts and "Why, oh why are we being spammed" whining.

It won't stop a lot of international spammers whose ISPs don't have any sort of rules against it, but against people on AOL, etc. sure, you can get them shut down, they'll just come back. That's how these people get their jollies.

Me too! I have already upgrade to Version 2. For another $15, it will give me many more years of peace and pleasure.

Agent works wonderfully. Free Agent doesn't allow filtering, at least as far as I remember, back when I used it many years ago.