Re: OT (yeah, right!): Politics

Page 7 of 14
All this is fine but obviously the one that was arrested and taken away in handcuffs must have at least posed a threat in some policemans mind . I dont see that has anything to do with the constitution.
The guy who was fired from his job for heckling Bush was at a private meeting paid for by the companies major business client who complained about his conduct. The meeting was not a public affair, discredited the company in the clients eye, so they exercised the option of firing him. What exactly is unconsitutional about that?
So you think there will be only registered repubicans on the NY city parade route.You probably think any old known crank should be allowed there including the first US suicide bomber with a couple of vials of serin or the like . So I guess you would like to defend the right of someone to murder another couple of thousand Americans. what a bunch of crap.
Charlie I am afraid you are living in the past with rose tinted glasses, it will never be the same as it was before 9-11....mjh

Mike Hide ripostes with:

exactly sure where you brought sarin into the conversation, but, yeah, I do think there will be only registered Republicans along the route...at least if the mayor of NYC, the cops, and the Bush Babies have anything to do with it.

I doubt very much I have rose tinted glasses on...you may have as you stare at your Republican buddies, though.
But, in essence, what you're saying is that the terrorists have already won. And with that I am sad to report, I agree.
Their aim was to destroy a way of life. That way of life is disintegrating with modest speed as we look at things "differently" under the President who was going to "bring us together."
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:46:43 +0000, Mike Hide wrote:

Some folks have decided to capitulate to the terrorists, but I'm unwilling to give up so easily. As far as I'm concerned they aren't going to destroy 200 years of freedom and progress with a couple of jumbo jets. We need to maintain our commitment to the principles that made this country great, EVEN if it allows the terrorists to hurt us again. Freedom, we need to remember, isn't free. It has always had a cost. I hate to think that we Americans have become too cowardly to pay the bill. My father fought in the Philippines to preserve our liberty; so I think I can put up with an infinitesimal extra risk. Besides that, there is no guarantee that voluntarily giving up our freedoms will make us safer. Even in Red China, where your only right is absolute obedience to the State, they are currently suffering terrorist attacks. So even if we become a totalitarian regime, we won't necessarily be any safer. Giving up freedom for safety? It's a sucker deal.
Putting political opponents in "free speech zones" far away from campaigning politicians is deeply un-American. Our founding documents accord us the right to have our grievances addressed publicly. And if the true value of freedom is too abstract a concept, consider that there are practical issues as well. When President Bush was asked by Larry King about the divisive nature of the 2004 campaign, Bush denied that the country was divided, saying that everywhere he went, all he saw were people cheering and waving. Now I don't know if he really feels this way, but it's possible, since the President has admitted that he doesn't read much and he isn't very interested in the news. If he'd been exposed to the strong feelings of those who oppose his policies, he might be making some sort of effort to address their concerns. He would have been a better President if he could have done a better job of uniting the American people in these dangerous times. And if he had, he'd probably be re-elected easily. Instead, he's had to resort to morally odious tactics like the Swift Boat Veterans.
says...

to declare war. Find the justification for law by "executive directive".
Etc..
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

How many of you here have read the Patriot Act, and do you really know the implication on the long run? Whether you are Liberal or Conservative, we are in the same boat! Look at Countries that have such laws, it's not pretty.

It never is when you have an enemy who has vowed to kill ever American on the face of the earth ,at times it is necessary to relinquish some civil rights to ensure the security of the country. If we had it before 9-11 perhaps ,perhaps that might have been avoided. In WW2 due to the german air raids the civil defense were allowed to put a bullet through your windows if you showed a light at night, looters of shops with windows blown out were shot on sight, If you did not turn up for work the police were at your door asking why.
No one likes the patriot act per se on the other hand it gives some protection .Without it the next hit might well be 30,000 and not 3000 plus . I suppose some people just don't get it do they .....mjh

Your sentiment is truly frightening. It's no wonder that the conservatives have so many sheeple in lock step with the radio and internet loudmouths.
Fortunately, some very bright people who founded this country 200+ years ago have it right:
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little     temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Do you hear yourself? Why not just give up everything and not worry about anything? I don't want to live in the world you seem to want.

You are at the top of that list.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

Sounds great sitting in an armchair by the fire, but when your family gets wiped out because you did not take sensible precautions ,then it sounds a little hollow, to me at least .

No I will not give up everything, but I am willing to make allowances to protect my family.....mjh
Mike, please reply with short answers (I falls asleep if long winded...Blah, blah, blah...)

Thank goodness we do think alike, you too dislike the Patriot Act? Do you think anything could be done beside the Patriot Act to preserve our freedom and security?
Do you think we should reexamine our self, to find out why there are so many people outside the US dislike us so much that some are willing to sacrificing their lives to destroy us?
If we could find that billion dollars answer we not only improve ours, but also others freedom and security at minimum cost, right?
says...

support Israel and the Muslim world supports Palestine, they're going to hate us?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Simple answer, stop supporting Israel, Isn't that what its all about.
A half page article in the Atlanta Journal by Kenneth Quinn yesterday 9-11 was supposed to occur on 9/18 , Rosh Hashannah [jewish new year] but had to be rescheduled....
says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com says...

antipathy to us IS based on our support of Israel.

shouldn't object after all, we've still got the other 49 states.

much of an agressor as the Arabs? You think we've got trouble in Iraq - you ain't seen nothing yet.

That we agree on.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard responds:

been to return a punch in the head for a punch in the head, but if the punching continues, they put on brass knucks. Check out the 7 Days War.

No argument at all there.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:14:40 -0700, Larry Blanchard

    Mostly true, but even if it were the *only* reason, does that mean we should stop supporting Israel? Ethics and morality are not popularity contests.     BTW, if we stopped supporting Israel, we would still be richer, we would still be consuming more than our share of world resources, we would still be supporting corrupt governments at the expense of "the people", our foreign military bases worldwide would still have soldiers going out and raping the locals (don't splutter back at me, check it out first), etc etc. In short, if you want to hate the USA there are several buckets of reasons you can use - and that's just for the reasonable people who are a majority. The fringies hate everybody; we're just the best target.     Supporting Israel is probably the most noble thing we do.
====Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===={remove curly brackets for email}
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

Mike Hide wrote:

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

Don't look now but you just triggered Godwin's Law of Usenet.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

Yeah, I knew it as I wrote it. But go back and read the message to which I am responding. This is one of those very rare cases where it is literally justified by the position of the poster in question ...
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

Sorry, there are no extenuating or mitigating justifications for violation of Godwin's Law of Usenet. Turn in your HCA glue spreaders immediately, orient your prayer rug toward Wisconsin, and beg absolution from A100, The First Unisaw.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04