Re: OT (yeah, right!): Politics

Page 13 of 14
Doug Miller writes:

Let's just say it isn't at all hard to pick up Republican figures that weren't shining idols of saintliness, too. And when they're out of office, they're out of office, so it isn't sensible to class them as contestants in the current battle, which seems to be what Republicans want to do with Clinton.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
"Alex"

No, you're wrong and I'm right : )

None of his superiors or contemporaries made that claim. What's your source, a Michael Moore movie? Explain how he got qualified without a physical and how he campaigned while flying.

You belittled Bush's service with the guard so setting the record straight is important.

I don't see the connection. Do you support swift boat captains for president?

Nothing sided about it. I was pointing out an obvious hypocrisy. Deal with it.

Anything but answer the contradiction. Dodging the draft is OK if it's your boy but service in the guard is a copout if you don't like him. That isn't rational no matter how you try to spin it.

So you are the silent minority then. Who did Bush kill?

Happy to point out some inconsistencies with left wing politics. I notice you can't really address them directly, you'd rather ignore them.

He wouldn't need to. If it was illegal, walking away from it would have been more of a challenge.

Yes, that's what I said but the liability comes from the media wing of the DNC, not the law.

Oh, so it's a new thing and done only in the interest of fairness.

: )

It's still doing well because...it's true. Everytime you guys bash Bush's record we need only to look at the hypocrisy of looking the other way at Clinton's. To you putting some daylight on the subject is smearing. It's an old tactic to accuse your opponent of your faults and hope no one notices.

That's an interesting way to put it. Job growth is down but it's not improving. hmmm. Kerry is going to fix that, how? By growing government ?

Not true if inflation is taken into account.

Assuming we continue to grow government, entitlements, etc.

...who made up the difference by slashing the military for one. That isn't the best way to dowsize government in my view. He presided over a period when the dotcom bubble was going full tilt but the economy was on the downslope before the left. Look into it.

That's Bush's fault too? Why is everyone else paying more for oil too?

I don't consider the blood of U.S. and allied soldiers piss.

Saddam let terrorists live there in safe haven as long as they were enemies of the west. You must be thinking the problem would have simply cleared itself up. Had the UN acted in the intrests of world peace there would have been no war.

Who said they were?

Who said they were? You asked for accomplishments.

Yep, just like the cruise missles he fired on Baghdad.

Says who?

How did he kill the Kurds and why was he being inspected under UN resolutions?

Unlike the peace and harmony under Saddam.

The world is safer when tihe fanatics are on the defensive. We found out what Clintonesque head brying does.

Nuclear weapons are nothing to yawn over no matter how small the nation if they are devoted to terrorism. Your lack of world affairs understanding is appauling.

Odd that he isn't running on his senate record then.

You mean the full BS? You can't actually name anything substantive?

Let's not give him the chance either.

The sore spot is between your ears. That part of the mission was accomplished as stated by Tommy Franks, who had the idea for the morale booster. Brush up on some facts and make that sore heal up!

What do you have besides opinion?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH...can't resist......temptation.....to....reply with..... political opinion that.....no one......cares......about......... (C;
I have to say...I'm a Democrat, and even *I* am saying "Can we get to the issues?" There's been a LOT of water under the bridge since Viet Nam, and whether a group of vets think Kerry is or isn't fit for command isn't really going to sway my opinion one way or 't'uther. I respect vets, and I respect everyone's right to an opinion, but hey...it's just that, an opinion.
And it does NOT say in the constitution that 527 groups have to be fair and balanced in their adverts. So, yeah, Bob, I completely agree with you--getting to the real issues would be a good thing. Pity that it probably won't happen anytime soon... <sigh>
Mike Hide responds:

Read or listen to Kerry's testimony instead of the overblown BS from Limbaugh and his ilk. Kerry never branded all Nam vets as war criminals. His testimony came about a year, IIRC, after Wm. Calley's trial and the massive rehashing of the My Lai massacre.
And trashing the '60s and '70s ANG was a reasonable activity back then. As I said before, the story is different today, though problems remain. The ANG of the '60s and '70s was a farce, or it was about 90% of the time.

Nah. Just a record that Bush refuses to discuss.
And, as Alex noted, Bush made damned good and sure he wasn't where he'd get a scratch. Flying jets is a difficult job, but flying is not as difficult as it is made out to be, and there are a lot of built-in safety factors, especially when you're flying outmoded machinery that cannot be brought up to grade on modern weapons systems. There's not a lot of emphasis on stressing the machinery, or the personnel, when there is no chance of real-life use. And, anyway, Bush got off flying status as quickly as he could.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
On 27 Aug 2004 00:40:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Are you listening to the same recordings as the rest of us? "I, like others participated in ... " He did brand all American soldiers as war criminals, acting in violation of the Geneva convention.
But then, last week, in an interview when challenged by a fellow swift boat veteran he made the statement, "I didn't say that Swift boat vets committed atrocities, it was all the other soldiers".
(Charlie Self)

You've made an elementary mistake: the phrase "I, like others" is not the same thing as "all American soldiers".
See the difference, "others" vs. "all"??? "Others" is more than one but not necessarily "all".
HTH
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:25:28 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yeah. And as someone who served a year in Vietnam, I agree with him. Men take responsibility for their mistakes. Boys don't. We have boys running the country right now. I'm tired of it.

So the President is to be demonized by Kerry et al because there were some problems with abuse in Iraq while it's ok for Kerry to have admitted to personally committing abuses. That is hypocrisy.

relief to see the Bush administration take office -- my first thought was that the grownups are back in charge.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

"Larry Blanchard"

I laughed at your laughter. Thanks for the chuckle!
In choosing a elected official, my personal oppionion is to choose a man/woman of character, are they telling me the same thing today, tomarrow, next week, are they doing what they think is right or what the poles say is right. For me that is far more important then what the position are I didn't agree with what most of what Jessy Venturea stood for, but I supported him because I knew exactly what he stood for, one of my favorate sayings is "a devil you can trust is better then a saint you can't" Clinton may not have inhaled but blew smoke for 8 years, Kerry changes positions in the same speech, so who are you left with Bush or Nader, and honestly if your undecided at this point Vote Nader, let him know somebody loves him it would make is day!
Doug Miller wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/06/05/steadfast_bushs_amazing_flip_flops /
It's all in the advertising you believe.

Yep. When I want the straight story on President Bush, I head straight for a former Kerry staffer. Forget Kerry flip-flopping in the same speech...try the same sentence. "I actually voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it." Hard to get around that one.
todd
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:41:45 -0500, Todd Fatheree wrote:

Folks who enjoy that quote have apparently not realized that these were two very different bills. Here's an analogy: Say you offer me an 8" jointer at $500 and I agree to your price. You tell me, "It's a deal." Then the next day I come to pick it up, I say, "I'll pay you next month." If you cancel the deal, are you a flipflopper? After all, first you agreed to the sale and then you disagreed with it. No, you're not a flipflopper. You're just showing common sense in the face of my attempt to change the rules, which is exactly what Kerry did. Really. Look at the facts; it's all public record stuff.
One of the several reasons I'm voting for a Democrat presidential candidate for the first time in my life is the meaningless drivel that the Republicans are substituting for a realistic discussion of issues. The silliness about the 87 billion is a perfect example of campaign-by-slogan, and I expect better from my leaders.

First off, I don't believe you've never voted for a Democrat before, unless you've never voted before at all. I can't prove it, but it's just a gut feeling. You want to say I don't know, fine. I'm just not buying it. Second, Kerry is the same guy who can't decide whether or not he owns an SUV. When he's talking to union auto workers, he's a proud owner. When environmentalists might be listening, suddenly the only vehicles in the fleet are Honda Insights. On the Senate vote in question, it was passed 87-12. That's quite a minority for Kerry to be with. It didn't have anything to do with the rules being changed, but he and Edwards had to show the Deaniacs that he was also a big anti-war guy just like Howard.
todd
"Nate Perkins"
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/06/05/steadfast_bushs_amazing_flip_flops /

I realize this appeals to your mindset but none of the quotes are sourced so we can't read the comments in context, or if they are even accurate. I wonder what the author was hiding.
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/06/05/steadfast_bushs_amazing_flip_flops /
Hmm, Fletis ... Which part can't you find a cit for? The President's speeches on Sept 13, 16, 2001? The quotes from Face the Nation or Meet the Press on March 16, 2003? The White House press briefing on Oct 24, 2001? You do know that most of the President's speeches are actually on the White House web site?
I admire your determination that quotations be placed in context. Wouldn't it be nice if the Bushies did that? So how about this one:
http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID 9
"Nate Perkins"

Had it been responsible journalism they would have linked to the speeches, if that's what they were, so we could see them in context. Asking the reader to accept their word as gospel is unprofessional so it's not a good source. Also when a source blends numerous editorials into the mix it confuses the subject further. For example when Bush says he thinks we are welcomed in Iraq they insert fatalities as an obvious smear tactic. The fatalities are quite low for a war that scale, still too many, but some perspective is in order. Were we welcomed in Germany?

You want me to critique the entire page?
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message

The cits are there. Since when does each cit have to have a hotlink? First you claim there are no citations, then you claim that it's too hard to research it because you didn't get an easy hotlink.

Iraq fatalities are a real and objective data point. Are you saying it's a smear just to point out how many troops are dying in Iraq?

Yeah, some perspective is in order. How about this one:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyIDa45759
Iraq is certainly not Germany. That comparison is ridiculous, not to mention transparently self-serving.

No, I don't want your critique. Obviously, I posted it to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the Bushies who complain about quotations out of context.