Re: OT (yeah, right!): Politics

Page 12 of 14
David asks:

We? Where did you come from? Didja miss the OT leading the thread?
"We" as in the collective woodworkers who should be using this ng for its intended purpose. You can put "OT:" anywhere you want, that doesn't mean this topic belongs here. OT might as well translate to: "I am too damn lazy to post to the correct newsgroup, so I will stroke my ego by posting my own personal political beliefs in hopes of trolling a 300+ message thread that has nothing to do with woodworking and isn't going to change a single person's opinion!"
Please preach to the choir in the correct place.
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell

Please quit reading off-topic posts. Where is the material on woodworking that you've supplied to this NG that you so noisily are defending against all its enemies?
In other words, where did you come from? Who appointed you NG nanny?
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
Nobody appointed me anything. However, I have been using Usenet for long enough to know what the etiquette is for OT posts. Anyone can tell you that a political statement is extremely divisive. This NG seems to be about bringing woodworkers together. Threads like this create polarized opinions about the other woodworkers without even knowing who they are. So what benefit has this thread served? No one has to listen to me, but perhaps others think these types of trolling threads dont belong here as well. Maybe not everyone participating is aware of Usenet etiquette. There are many OT posts here that you dont see me saying anything about because they clearly aren't abusing the general idea of an off-topic message.
If you bother to do a search, you will find the other threads I have participated on. I never said anyone was an enemy to this NG, at worst I said someone was too lazy to post a divisive message in its appropriate place.
To conclude, I wont post on this issue again as I dont want to further perpetuate this thread. If you dont agree with me, fine, keep blowing the fire on the never-ending political debate.
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell

Has it done harm? *I* don't think so.
There are a number of people here who I know are superb WW'ers whose political opinions I think are ludicrous. Does that mean I'm going to ignore their next post on how to approach decising on what joinery to use, or how to achieve a finish I may want for a piece I'm working on, or refuse to visit for a beer or ice tea if I'm travelling throough their home town?
Of course not. And I hope they give me the same consideration.
Hell, I have relatives whose political views I absolutely despise. Doesn't mean I won't have a drink and friendly conversation at Christmas!
I was at a family reunion over the August long weekend, and had any number of drawn out heated political discussions that eerily paralleled this one.
We were all still speaking to one another Monday morning, and looking forward to the next time we met and could do it all again.
My $0.02 CAD...
RE: Subject
This one needs very proficient shit disturbers in order to grow and prosper, he said ducking and running<G>.
Lew

Keep practicing, Lew... There are those here who are a lot more proficient than you or I...
;-)
David wrote:

Newsgroups are funny things. They both meet the need for domain specific discussion AND substitute for the proverbial pickle barrel of olde at the local General Store. Yeah, we BS here on OT material. But we also do contribute to on topic material. Rent a clue, learn how to create a filter on OT subject headers if it really annoys you that much and move along. It's just a freaking news group man, lighten up ...

its
Tim: I love you, man. It's just a freaking news group....
Bob
Bob Schmall wrote:

^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but it's not THAT kind of news group ...

McCain?
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"Charlie Self" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message

Hey, even Al Sharpton wouldn't be that bad :-). He does come up with some good one-liners :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

Yeah, right. Wanna' buy a bridge?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Charlie Spitzer notes:

I said zip about him being the cleanest. He is the only politician currently active, at least on a national level, who causes me to feel like he has his head somewhere other than up his ass. Nothing to do with being "clean."
It really amuses me how the "leftist" press ignored Shrub's early coke abuse...for no real reason except that he refused to talk about it? C'mon. Clinton takes a couple hits off a joint and every Republican in the world becomes holier-than-thou (not hard these days as that's where too many of them seem to stand on a day-to-day basis). Turn the question around and asses pop into the air as ostriches stick their heads in the sand.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

FFS, Charlie, just like everything else, it was about SlickWillie _lying_ about it, rather than the act itself. "I didn't inhale". Give me a freaking break. Had he said "Yeah, I did it, I was young and stupid at the time", it would have been another nothing. It's his continual, habitual, can't help himself from doing it lying that grates on people. I don't care that he got a hummer from the intern. I don't particulary even care that he got it when he was supposed to be on the clock. What I _do_ care about is him getting on TV, staring us right in the eye, and doing the "I want you to listen to me. I did not..." lie. Lying under oath to congress is a pretty big thing as well.
His actions aren't the big problem, his continual lying about them is.
"Alex"

But you did a ***really *** good job of introducing errors and distortions, you must've known where to begin. Where did you get your copy of the talking points:

National Guard pilots were flying in Nam, up to 50 percent were from the Guard at times. The plane Bush was trained on was put out to pasture. But I wonder how many of you malcontents had a problem with Clinton's military accomplishments?

Yes, it's good to do both because after scouring the known universe for dirt they couldn't find evidence of drugs and no liberal seems to have problems with Kennedy driving his car into the river and killing a gal.

Wrong. I listened to him last night and that wasn't the reason. He said there was nothing illegal about it and his democrat alternatives across the street do the same thing. He resigned to avoid specualtion and further allegations. Not that any liberals would stoop to such low tactics.

How so? He served in the military instead of lying about a draft notice like Bill Clinton. You really are confused.

The economy is doing great in a worldwide recession, no terrorists since 911. Taliban brought down. Saddam brought down, Libia feeling the heat rolls over, etc. Kerry's accomplishments are....? Your turn.
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in

Oooh, what clever argumentation : I know your next trick, you're rubber and I'm glue, right????

They sure were, but Shrub wasn't. Thanks for reinforcing my point.
Bush was ducking his mandatory physical and "helping" with a campaign in Alabama while Texas Guard pilots were flying and dieing in Vietnam.

And they were admirable for that. No slight to the Guard, don't waste your energy defending where there's not an attack.

Maybe that should be a lesson for the voters??? Put him out to pasture.

Geez, now I know you've lost the argument; smearing Kerry by a side-reference to Clinton.
When you have no logic, smear, smear. Next thing you know, you'll be unearthing Fat Teddy's past for another smear.
... sentence clipped...

See, there you go. I'm a proud liberal, and I think Teddy should have been convicted for DUI if not involuntary manslaughter. So you're wrong again.
Check your newspaper: Shrub is running against *Kerry* . Not against Clinton or Teddy. Happy to help you with that.

Of *course* that's what he said, he's the one with the apparent conflict of interest. Is he going to admit it's illegal???

How noble of him, couldn't have been that he was a liability.

Oh yes we would, we're tired of the smears, propaganda, and outright lies that the Repugnicans have become SO expert at.
Did you notice? We've begun to respond. We have more to learn, but the slime will not go unanswered.

See, again you have no reply, so you again try to smear by association with Clinton. How sad and tired, Rush wore that one out 6 or 8 years ago.

Come on - feel free to be partisan, but be honest - "great" ????
Job loss in the last 4 years is not improving (the growth rate is way down).
Deficits at record levels (that's passing the burden on to our children and grandchildren), when it had been eliminated under the prior administration (someone named "Clinton").
Oil prices at record levels, consumer spending slowing down.
Around $150 billion pissed into the sand in Iraq.

Due to the efforts in *Afgahanistan*, not *Iraq*. Note the nearly 1000 American soldiers dead in *Iraq*.
Check a map, they're not quite the same place.

True, and applause for the military in *Afghanistan*. The Taliban were in *Afgahanistan*, not *Iraq*.
All the bombs and planes we bought during the Clinton administration sure worked well, huh??? Those years spent preparing the military really paid off.

Saddam never a threat to us, there were no WMD; Iraq is in turmoil; the Middle East is more dangerous now, not safer. Libia, ok, but really: yawn.

He's my senator, he's done a fine job here and would do a fine job for the country. I've voted for him in the past, mostly on the basis of his performance on bread-and-butter issues. Go to the Kerry web site if you want the full bio on national issues.
Note that a senator doesn't have the opportunity to dress up in a flight suit, land on a carrier and say "Mission Accomplished".
((Oh, that's right, the Mission wasn't really Accomplished, sorry to bring up that sore spot. ))
But one big accomplishment: Kerry's not the royal screwup that the current fellow is.

Well, there's a sign of progress, anyway -- a lefty who understands that association with Clinton besmirches one's reputation. :-)
Doug Miller responds:

Do we want to discuss Nixon, who is also out of office..and dead...and who has no bearing on the current election?
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
(Charlie Self) wrote:

Dunno... did you have a point there somewhere?