Re: OT (yeah, right!): Politics

Page 1 of 14
snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com says...

Watson, I need you!
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

It's not the WMD, it's Swift Boat now!
http://news.google.com/news?q=swift+boat&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nn

One simple question. 1. How does one obtain 3 purple hearts in 4 months of combat service, yet not lose a single duty day nor spend any time in the hospital?

http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php
....or on Friday night night Michelle Malkin claimed that Kerry shoot himself during the Vietnam war..... and William Rood, a Tribune editor who served in Vietnam alongside John Kerry (left), stepped forward today to dispute attacks challenging Kerry's war record.
Kerry must be a damn liar?
WD babbles:

Someone is not exactly truthful, that's for certain. Given the lack of solid proof possible in either direction, I'd point the finger at the people who instigated this morass.
Loved the cartoon in the Roanoke Times yesterday: showed a swift boat at speed, towing 2 water skiers. The header noted that the swift boat was one man's contribution to 'Nam, while the water skiers, Bush & Cheney, did nothing.
Think about it. Cheney had either five or seven exemptions from the draft yet has temerity to sneer at Kerry's contribution.
On 22 Aug 2004 08:44:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie, Kerry have to the liar! I know it deep down in my heart, I can even feel it in my bone. Bush will never lie cuz, he's is a born again Christian, a Christian NEVER lie. Are you forgetting that he lead us to victory against the Saddam Hussein and the beautiful sight of shock and awe destruction of Baghdad?

I love both faces of Michelle Malkin's twisted mouth angrily refuting Chris Matthew's stunned face.
Remember the two psychiatrists on one show swearing adamantly George had an attention deficit disorder. I wondered how well he had mastered it when flying high performance fighter aircraft . Suppose his daddy got him pilots duty!!!!!!!!!!! mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
(Charlie Self)wrote:

Of course it's ok if your daddy is President getting your son a cozy Stateside job. Wouldn't you do it for your own son?

WD responds:

And it has been stated, time after time after time and for many years, that it is possible to teach a monkey to fly. I don't know that anyone has tried, though.
On 22 Aug 2004 23:20:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
I believe they almost did...
See PBS http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/koko/newhome.html

I think you have a slight problem with history there. Bush was president about 16 YEARS after the Vietnam war had ended. However, the senior Bush was CIA director under Nixon. It is highly unlikely the younger Bush would have even been allowed to serve in Vietnam since were he to be captured, the North would potentially have had a significant bargaining chip.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:55:06 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Incorrect. Check your dates. Bush Sr. was DCI long after Jr. left the ANG.
So why should george the elder been spared if george the younger were to be captured? Bargaining chip? I don;t recall any chip with all our pow's. Did not have any problems when mc Cain was captured. What was so different about the georgie boys? Guess that old saying just might be true, Diapers and politicians have to be changed for the same reason.
As for The ventriloquist ( Dick Cheney) a deferment for him? Who was the lucky person who had to go in place of cheney? Was he your son, husband , father, was he one of the 57,000 brave that did not make it? And this makes two because dick;s other half of his act, never went. And if you were told by the goverment that your son, father ,husband was the one who went as a standin for america's two dumbest office holders, how would you feel now?
"O D" <

Dunno. Ask Liberman or Clinton. Did it bother you then?
:>Of course it's ok if your daddy is President getting your son a cozy Stateside :>job. Wouldn't you do it for your own son? : I think you have a slight problem with history there.
As do you:
Bush was president : about 16 YEARS after the Vietnam war had ended.
Yes.
However, the senior Bush : was CIA director under Nixon.
He was a member of Congress when his son avoided serving in Vietnam by getting a domenstic post to the TX national Guard, part of which he apparently served.
This is an interesting report:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/09/02/allison/index.html
    -- Andy Barss

Doug Miller responds:

True enough. Lessee. What was HW doing back then? Was he director of the CIA at that time?

Kerry's first PH was for a shrapnel wound to his arm which he received from a grenade he had fired himself. So What? PH's are awarded for friendly-fire wounds, so long as the fire in question was intended to be directed toward the enemy, even if the enemy was not, in fact, present.

I'm not aware of any specific statements Cheney has made in that regard. Bush at least has had the good sense to leave the accusations to persons not under his nominal control.
AFAIK, only one person in Bush's cabinet has had combat experience, Powell, and he is pretty much ignored, except when the White House sees fit to contradict him.
--

FF

On 22 Aug 2004 12:22:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

Nothing wrong with that at all, EXCEPT THAT IT FAILS TO MEET THE CRITERIA FOR A PURPLE HEART! Three criteria must be met to be awarded a purple heart:     1. It must occur in the presence of enemy fire. In the first instance of Kerry's PH, this was *not* the case.     2. One must receive medical care for the wounds received. In the case of this first PH, the accounts do indicate he received medical care, but the care received stretches the criteria pretty much; it certainly violates the spirit of the PH, especially considering those who received those awards for severely debillitating wounds.     3. A report of the action and the wound must be written up and sent up the chain. This also happened.
    The spirit of the PH is to reward those who have been seriously wounded in defending their country. That a person received the PH for wounds that were even serious enough to require hospitilization, let alone be life-threatening does a dis-service to those who received the award for actions that truly merited it.
    None of this would matter one whit if Kerry and his campaign hadn't started using his three purple hearts and silver star as a centerpiece of his campaign. Earlier this year, you couldn't turn on the TV without his throwing those medals in your face at every opportunity. It would have been less of an issue as well if he hadn't used a picture of his former comrades, with Edwards intoning, "if you want to know what kind of man John Kerry is, just ask those who served with him" implying that everyone in that picture supported him. Turns out, aside from himself, only one person still living (I'm sure in Chicago, the dead ones will support him) supports Kerry, the remainder either view him as unfit for command or have come out as neutral. Take a look at www.swiftvets.com for a summary of that picture.

One reporter (who supports Kerry) vs. a myriad of former Swift Boat commanders and crewmen who served with Kerry and observed his actions. Those vets have nothing to gain from the stand they are taking, many of them have served highly distinguished careers and are risking reputations by coming forward publicly to what is a heavily Kerry favoring media (as evidence of this, these people approached the media months ago with this information but couldn't even get an interview. In a truly impartial media, you would have thought that as serious as these charges are, the media would have at least taken a look).

Had Kerry not made this a centerpiece of his campaign ( "John Kerry reporting for duty" in his speech to the Democratic convention, as well as the numerous ads *his* campaign put forth, all intoning, "John Kerry, War hero, Senator, ...), none of this stuff would have come to light, nor would it have mattered. Since he has challenged us to "find out what kind of leader John Kerry is by asking those who served with him", this is a valid topic for discourse. [Oh, he meant only ask those who served with him and support him -- ignore all those other fellows]

BINGO!