Re: OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

have the opportunity to be hit by someone five times their

> own weight. > > Now that would be a lesson...

Yep ... I agree. It's a damn shame there's not someone around that size to whack all the misbehaving adults in this culture who make the rest suffer from their lack of discipline as children.

Reply to
Swingman

Hello again,

Your comment reveals the problem so very clearly that I thought to respond:

We agree that disciplining children is extremely important to their well being.

But you clearly equate "hitting" and "discipline."

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

You're right again. As an attention getter, you bet I do ... when it is timely and appropriate.

Just don't you equate "hitting" with physical harm.

AAMOF, let me know if you're ever interested in putting your money where your mouth is on that count.

A little scientific experiment, based on whether smacking the crap out of someone for each smug attempt to spin words and meaning would stop the behavior, would be highly pertinent to the discussion and provide some insight you're missing.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm not a link follower so I didn't click on the link but I just read that artical and it had nothing to do with spanking. Who says if you spank your kids you are not a warm andd affectionate parent? Of course your parenting skills

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

That was a little overboard don't you think? Isn't it possible that he has raised a child to the age of 6 that is well adjusted? Just because he doesn't agree with our methods does not mean his methods don't work.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I think most parents love their children and want the best for them. In my opinion there are 2 basic reasons that a parent does not discipline their children. The first is that they were probably never taught how to raise children from their parents. Many of my parenting skills were "caught" from my parents. Those people that didn't have the benefit of learning from good parents have their work cut out for them. The 2nd is our nations growing tendency to be lazy. Good parenting is lots of hard work. Often otherwise loving parents give up when they've had a hard day and they have to get up from the couch once again to discipline junior for the 5th time that evening.

I hate it when I see a child like you're referring to in the store. It makes me want to walk over to the kid and give him a good swat, then smack the parent for allowing it. It's not the kids fault for being a turd. It's the parents.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

As long as he's acting in my best interest, and making sure I know why I'm being punished, I'm not afraid of that 1000 lb gorilla. You can be he wouldn't have to tell me something twice.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

So...you're suggesting that because the kid hasn't been hit, something's missing from his life? Clue: Some people are better than others at using words, which is one thing that makes some parents, teachers, clergymen, managers and political leaders better than others. If you think that every child will need physical punishment, you're sorely misguided.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

>> Spanking children fuels aggression, anxiety By Megan Rauscher

damn, I thought this was going to be a fun subject, like spanking semi-clad women...

Reply to
tg

For some parents, the first response to misbehaving kids is a threat of physical punishment, followed shortly thereafter by the actual deed. Do you think this is something all parents should consider, or is it possible that some parents are more capable of using words to get kids to understand the rules?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There is a lot of intelligence in your post (including the part I snipped).

However, it appears as if you think spanking and violence are synonyms. They are not.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

You are correct. While all spanking is violence (what else is it), some forms of violence (such as beheading or rape or bayonetting) are not spanking.

Ignoramus1487

Are you stupid or something? Are you related to Forrest Gump?

Reply to
Tamper proof

We're just glad you're behind the computer and not in public anywhere.

Reply to
Tamper proof

Wishful thinking! T

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

You must be from the UK :-)

Reply to
wood

Deborah ,

sorry, I should have been more clear what I meant. This article implies that if you have "perfect" relations between your family members there is a less likelihood of need to spank.

Reply to
Alex

And you never said a thing? At the very least I would have been knocking on the door of the school counselor. I had a neighbor who was in the habit of kicking his dogs, I called the cops.He stopped. I would do the same for a child. I had a neighbor who left her 8 year old home alone, I called the cops. She came pounding on my door threatening to have me taken care of. Oh well.If I thought there was abuse of any kind I would report it to someone. You call the cops a few times when he is screaming and he would start thinking. Cops don't like parents who abuse their children, neither do I.

Peace to you, Dave

Reply to
wood

Believe me, it was taken care of. But, it had been going on for years before we moved to the street. The damage was done. The kids are 18-22 now, and in therapy. The oldest has her own kids. Guess how she behaves toward them. The exact same way.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

What is wrong about leaving a 8 year old child home alone, provided that the child is reasonably responsible.

Ignoramus1487