Re: OT: Small Slab Removal

HI,

I removed two edges (10-40 inch wide and 0-

12inch wide wedges) on my patio last year. One can make a reasonable cut with a normal circular saw and a cheap diamond ( ~$20) blade. After a couple of passes you can get 2-2.5 inches deep, flooding with water after each pass. With luck you might get through the rebar.

If possible dig along side your slab and under it ( A pick axe works well for this) to give the concrete somewhere to move. Then a sledge hammer will make quick work of it. I had access to a 1" rotary hammer, and the sledge was much faster. If you do use the rotary hammer, try removing a few inches at a time.

Thanks Roger Haar

> I've got to take 12" inches off of a 10' run of concrete slab that's > about 4" thick. I was thinking about using a small rotary hammer to > either drill a bunch of holes and crack it off with a sledge, or use > the hammer only mode with a chisel. Am I going to be asking too much > of the tool? It's a Makita 1" D-Handle Rotary Hammer "Put Bull" model > HR2455 that draws 7amps. > > Thanks. > > JP
Reply to
Roger Haar