Re: OT - Older Than Dirt Quiz - Part II

Page 1 of 2
My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even be 30 yet. Damn. Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom. 1. Blackjack chewing gum 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers 7. Party lines 8. Newsreels before the movie 9. P.F. Flyers 10. Butch wax 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933) 12. Peashooters 13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records 15. S&H Green Stamps 16. Hi-fi's 17. Metal ice trays with lever 18. Mimeograph paper 19. Blue flashbulb 20. Packards 21. Roller skate keys 22. Cork popguns 23. Drive-ins 24. Studebakers 25. Wash tub wringers JOAT
Oh yea!!!
26. Slide Rules 27. 78 RPM records and players 28. aviator caps 29. fender skirts 30. pettie coats 31. Saturday moring cartoon serials (like micky mouse, ruff & ready 21. fly paper 33. lucky strip green 34. turtle neck sweaters 35. double root beer floats 36. chocolate coke 37. red & blue birch beer 38. grandmother clocks 39. granddaughter clocks 40. penny candy 41. penny loafers 42. punch out candy contests 43. the ice cream man 44. moon hub caps 45. weekly comic (funny) books 46. pop botttle deposits 47. ceiing fans in stores for AC 48. penny parking meters 49. CB radios 50. ditch day at school (speficed day everyone cut classes) 52. taps on shoes 53. Caption midnight or Jack Armstrong 54. Roy Rogers horse 55. Blue swede shoes 56. cuff links 57. wash boards 58. sky king 59. rin-tin-tin 60. mighty mouse 61. car hops with roller skates 62. McDonalds first hamburger 63. Eight track tapes 64. 4 track tapes 65. reel to reel tape recorders 66. 2" VCR tape & recorders 67. knock hocky 68. Summer recreation at school 69. marbles 70. jacks 71. Buster Keaton 72. going around dizzy block 73. Buck Rogers 74. Fibber McGee's closet 75. Tennessee Ernie & Mr. Ford 76. Red Skelton 77. The Keystone Cops 78. Carom 79. rubber snow boots 80. Dick Tracy 81. . I remember the first digital watches were LED type 82 B&W TV 83 fountain pens 84 ink wells & pens & blotters 85. sneaking into the drive-in 86. Celluloid 87. Bakelite 88. Mica (Ising glass in coal stove door) 89. Solar heat 90. Bed warmers 91. hot water bottle 92. Flappers & bobbed hair 93. Poodle skirts 94. Raggity Ann & Andy 95. Jimmy Rogers & Hank Williams 96. Zane Grey 97. Buddy L 98. Steam Locomotives 99. Erector set 100 tTnker Toys, Lincoln Logs & American Bricks 101. yo-yos
If you remembered! 0-25 = You're still young If you remembered 25-50 = You are getting older If you remembered 51-75 = Don't tell your age, If you remembered 76-101 = You're older than dirt!
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:
Clackers. (glass balls on a string hung from a ring)
[...]

Ooooo. Those things should be banned - the balls'll fracture and put yer eye out.

The genuine ones were *NOT* glass. they were a hard, high-resilience phenolic plastic.
Then there were "super balls".
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Joe "Woody" Woodpecker) wrote:

102. Doctors smoking cigarettes during office visits 103. Oleo 104. Raw eggs in home-made ice cream 105. Studebakers 106. Wristwatches with hands that went around 107. Mechanical typewriters 108. Hand-cranked cash registers 109. Sock hops 110. Kids carrying a .22 out of the city limits to practice target shooting without adult supervision -- & buying the ammo with no proof of age
-- Howard Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor www.CHL-TX.com snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com Low-cost Domain Registration and Hosting! www.Texas-Domains.com
Howard wrote:

Dr. Boatwright was a trip. Told me I needed to quit smoking. Said the first thing I had to do was decide I really wanted to quit, deep down inside. Then find a mountain, climb to the top, and hurl myself off.

Huh? I'm wearing one right now. It's not a mechanical movement though. Quartz. I hate digital watches. Time is an analog thing.

Learned on an old Royal with no 1 key.

Yup.
Nope.
Silvan wrote:

[snippage]
I once used the phrase "it's about 20 minutes of seven" in response to my grandson's query. That earned me a blank stare. Taking that as a request for further explanation, I related that to the hands on the clock and it being the same as 40 minutes after. Then, which is the same as 6:40. Might be useful information some day.     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

I grew up digital. 6:40. I got confused by geezers who insisted on using strange terminology like "it's around a quarter 'til seven" to describe the time 6:40:32.
Then something changed. I can't put my finger on what, really. I just decided keeping track of time with digital precision is silly. I also got far less hung up on punctuality.
My Casio Databank is still in a drawer around here somewhere, but I'm on my third Timex Expedition now. I killed the first two by getting them caught on things and ripping the band off so many times that the little metal holes are wallowed out. They still run. None of them tell the same time, and I like it that way.
It's about a quarter 'til noonish. Happy new year. Hope your head isn't throbbing as badly as mine is. :)
T. wrote:

Whatsa "stick" shift? You seem to be implying there's some other way to change gears.

We have a lot of clocks. Living room, above the fireplace; kitchen, dining room, four alarm clocks, microwave, VCR, DVD player, TV, Playstation2... None of them tell the same time.

That brings back painful memories of my great grandfather. He always did love a pocket watch.
Silvan wrote:

I grew up analog whether it was the watch or looking at the sun vs horizon. When I went into nursing they would allow digital watches, so I just never got one. Digression back to the original post, what I miss are: the coed at the beginning of the Texaco News Hour, Bonomo's Turkish Taffy, Root Beer Fizzies in my cheek, riding with Hutch the milkman on his horse and wagon and getting chunks of ice in the summer, and the blacksmith across from my Grandfather's office. Oh yeah, and not worrying about strangers. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Old broadcasters never die.....
My wristwatch is synchronized with WWVB in Boulder CO. Dead on all the time. It is still satisfying to hear the network time tick while my watch rolls over the hour.
Remove TIE to reply.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:56:37 -0500, Silvan

I'd forgotten about those. I guess I don't really miss them, although my old Remington upright was very popular at college because it could be hauled down to the park to write a term paper far away from a plug-in.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
As this thread approaches it's preordained conclusion I'm reminded of those master debaters from Python and the 4 Yorkshiremen skit.
Art
The Scene: Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort. "Farewell to Thee" being played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable. Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah? Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah. Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine? MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea. GC: A cup ' COLD tea. EI: Without milk or sugar. TG: OR tea! MP: In a filthy, cracked cup. EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper. GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth. TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor. MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness." EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof. GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING! TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor! MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph. EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US. GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake! TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road. MP: Cardboard box? TG: Aye. MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt! GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY! TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife. EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah." MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'. ALL: Nope, nope..
"T." wrote Sat, Jan 3, 2004, 11:33am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com <snip> Boy, some of you guy's are really stretching. <snip> Now try, churning your own butter, after you separated your own milk. Then, molding the butter, in wooden butter molds. Water from a well, with a bucket. Or, water from a stream, with a bucked, on a tram line. Cornbread and milk, instead of cereal. Or, saltine crackers and milk, instead of cereal. Lucky Strike green - I can ony vaguely recall those tho. Digging a new outhouse hold, and moving the outhouse.
We did have electricty when I was a kid, but I've visited relatives who didn't. We had running water, but only cold. We did not have indoor plumbing. We moved when I was in the 7th grade, and that was our first indoor plumbing, and first hot water. And, later, our first telephone. And, even later, first television.
T. wrote:

Dude, it's less than four hours from here to there. You should treat yourself to a drive-in movie.
We have a couple of old fashioned drive-in restaurants too. One of them is right down the street from the other drive-in. The Starlite Drive-In Theater and the Starlite Drive-In Restaurant, both on, get this now, Starlite Drive. Or maybe these are all "-light." I'm not sure.
T. wrote:

I'm not talking about Sonics. I'm talking about a *real* drive-in restaurant that hasn't changed appreciably since the '50s.
I don't think the skating waitress chickies wear poodle skirts and bobby socks though.

Yeah, I heard that. Pretty colors and lots of chrome, but they have no soul. The hip hop gang banger kill whitey music blaring from every orifice doesn't sweeten the pot much either.
I will elucidate a bit. That wasn't one of those, "you were lucky, we had to wheelbarrow our lava uphill, to have a volcano", bits. Those were things I have actually participated in. I had thought I ha made that clear, but perhaps not. I have also milked cows by hand, driven a horse team while haying, shocked corn by hand, bagged wheat/oats, shelled corn by hand, and various other things, that most people have never participated in. At the time I would much rather not have participated either.
C'mon now JOAT, there are more than a few of us *old farts* around here! Work one end of a crosscut saw, split the log sections with sledge/wedges so we could feed it to the buzz saw.
Those were part of my life, back then. Most of it, I would not care to repeat either. Other things would be well worth repeating. Some of the things I wouldn't mind doing again (notice, I said again, these are things I have actually done, not heard about from somone): Squirt the milk, so the barn cats will rise up on their hind legs, to catch it in their mouth, and try to make them fall over backwards.
Yup. Make a chisel, from scratch, with a forge.
Nope.
Catch frogs with a lure - white as I recall - if you were good, you could make a frog jump 3' straight up, to catch one. Nope.
Dapping for trout. Nope.
Riding on a doodlebug tracor.
Sounds like what we called a "whoopee", old truck chassis cut down with a wood box for a seat, chains on the rear duals.
Nahmie
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:05:55 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Still got the butter mold. Never did it myself though.

White porcelain bucket & dipper in the kitchen. Breaking ice off the top on cold winter mornings.

With lots of sugar. Blah! Thanks for the memory.

Skidding the outhouse to a new hole - a grand family event. Sunshine Magazine & Guidepost for reading material.
The good old days really weren't all that good were they?<G>
Kiyu
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:18:37 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Religious & inspirational subscriptions from relatives - they always found their way to the outhouse. Sunshine was terrific though.

What I hated was when someone left the door open and it snowed. Your butt could warm a toilet seat quickly (we had a genuine store bought one in ours) but not when you just swept 4 in. of snow off it and time was running out. And then there were, when and where you were the most vulnerable, the spiders in the summertime. And the lime pail. And the folk's rule not to disturb the black snakes on the way out as they kept the mice away.
And does anyone remember having cottonwood trees on all corners of the house - nature's AC?
Kiyu
When my mother was in high school she saved up and bought an old, used Underwood. I remember her saying it was quite old when she got it. Believe it or not Staples was able to find me a ribbon that fits it. I still have it and it works great. The thing has got to be over 80 years old.
Glen
BTW, it's a cordless model. ;-)
(Tim Douglass) says: Learned on an old Royal with no 1 key. I'd forgotten about those. I guess I don't really miss them, although my old Remington upright was very popular at college because it could be hauled down to the park to write a term paper far away from a plug-in.
Boy, some of you guy's are really stretching. Remembering back to the days of manual typewriters? Yo-yos? You've gotta be kidding. You can still buy, new manual typewriters. If you want a neat one tho, I've got an electric portable, that will operate on electric anywhere in the world, plus batteries. But, the kids were playing with it - I didn't know - and apparently a spring somewhere in it broke. Ah well. Maybe I can get it repaired one of these days.
And, yo-yo - remember when? I've got a regular yo-yo I got just a few, very few, years ago. I get it and use it every once in awhile. And, got at least two floating around here somewhere, that are maybe about 10-12 years old, they take batteries, and have lights that come on, if you spin them hard enough.
Now try, churning your own butter, after you separated your own milk. Then, molding the butter, in wooden butter molds. Water from a well, with a bucket. Or, water from a stream, with a bucked, on a tram line. Cornbread and milk, instead of cereal. Or, saltine crackers and milk, instead of cereal. Lucky Strike green - I can ony vaguely recall those tho. Digging a new outhouse hold, and moving the outhouse.
We did have electricty when I was a kid, but I've visited relatives who didn't. We had running water, but only cold. We did not have indoor plumbing. We moved when I was in the 7th grade, and that was our first indoor plumbing, and first hot water. And, later, our first telephone. And, even later, first television.
JOAT Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Sir Winston Churchill
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Jan 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /

111. The ice man putting ice into your icebox (and the three cornered sign you hung in the window to tell him how big of a block you wanted)