Page 8 of 8

David Hall wrote:

Yes, it would.
At least till the private crop came in.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark responds:

Yeah, and I'll bet that is one of the considerations, too. Tobacco needs prcoessing for use, as does alcohol. Pot needs drying, period. Hard to stop private growth if it's legal.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

reasons
stop
Moreover, consider all of the money/spending that occurs around the drug trade presently. Yeah, a good chunk of it prolly goes outside our borders, but a bunch of it stays here (speaking from a USA standpoint). That that goes outside our borders is prolly used to buy weapons from the U.S.
Legalize dope and you'll see fewer Escalades and Uzis in the 'hoods... that part of the economy will tank, along with jobs used to create those Escalades and Uzis, etc. So now we are talking gov't. subsidies to the economy to offset loss of drug money. Will it balance?
(Charlie Self) wrote:

Alcohol doesn't need much processing, my friend. I've been making wine at home for years, and it ain't that hard. Making _good_ wine can be a bit tricky at times... :-)

Tobacco only needs more processing than pot if you want a good cigar, good pipe tobacco or a standardized cigarette. Lots of folks in the more rural past grew tobacco and used it, but we want something better than that big leaf we grew out back. Same with alcohol. It's not that hard to make (see Luigi's post abot 50 gallon of homemade wine) and yet we do not have a nation of brewers and distillers. (I believe it is just as legal to make moonshine for your own consumption as it is beer and wine). I see no reason to believe that after the novelty wore off that people would be out growing their own and they certainly wouldn't be planting a lot of backyard coca trees.
Dave Hall
(David Hall) wrote: [snip]

Nope. Not a bit legal. Not in the United States, anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

You're right. But it used to be. Many decades ago (1955?), I sent off for a booklet from, IIRC, the department of agriculture. It showed how to build your own still. In the back was a registration form you were supposed to fill out and send to the revenuers.
But then somebody decided to "protect" us :-).

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

David Hall wrote:

Not cocoa trees in the back yard as they need a different climate.
But my daddy could buy tomatoes, corn, cucumbers at the local mart. I wonder why he grew his own. ?
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
More government playing momy and daddy. The tax on a bottle of booze should be no higher than the tax on a bottle of orange juice. It's not up to the government to run people lives.
(Charlie Self)

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

No, when taxation on any item becomes sufficiently oppressive, enterprising folks will find a way around that tax -- i.e. bootleg cigarettes or alcohol. When the taxation rate reaches sufficient levels, the profit motive / risk margin in bootlegging becomes sufficiently large that the shadier elements of society view it as a reasonable endeavor and the formerly law abiding tolerate those shady elements to get what they want at less confiscatory prices. There is a law of unintended consequences to the ever-persistent "solution" of "just tax it until it's too painful to do". The flip side of this is that to provide sufficient level of enforcement to break the bootlegging business, the civil liberties of the entire society are sacrificed -- look at the various loss of privacy and liberty already resulting from the war on drugs.
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:43:18 -0500, Cape Cod Bob

That's worked well with all items on the black market, hasn't it? Nobody uses that expensive heroin, cocaine, crack, etc. do they?
What taxes do is reinforce overexpenditure by the gov't.
As to smoking, subsidizing tobacco and then taxing it to the hilt doesn't make sense. It's hurting the people (us) in multiple ways.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================
Larry Jaques responds:

Agreed. And that's something that needs absolutely NO reinforcement.

Presumably, there is no subsidy on tobacco. What it is is an allotment system that keeps anyone from growing extra tobacco, except for personal use. Presumably.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

It's pretty damn easy to grow pot, too. The gov't goes to some pretty extreme levels to try to catch people growing a little pot in the house. They go so far as to use thermal scanners to look for grow lights or check your utility company for excessive electricity usage. So if they ever again criminalize booze, nothing as meaningless as the Constitution will keep them out of your house if the dogs smell the still or you buy too many grapes.
Dave Hall
Score = 100
I'm just plain dirty.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:41:58 -0500, T. wrote:

On 03 Jan 2004 10:00:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled:

It seems that the further north one goes, the worse the alcohol problems become and the larger the social problem caused by it. Think Scandinavian countries, Russia, Canada, UK, Ireland. I think all these countries have worse alcohol problems than the US.
Canada and the Scandinavian countries are really tough on drunk driving and tax the hell out of alcohol. In Canada, drunk driving has been a criminal offense for a long time, and the penalties are tougher than in most US states. Here in the Yukon, we have a serious Fetal Alcohol Syndrome problem, with kids whose mother drank are born with different levels of mental retardation. We also have the highest per capita alcohol consumption of any jurisdiction in Canada.
Not that any of this is going to stop me from making my 50 gallons of wine a year, which I drink in moderation. Well, maybe except for New Year's Eve.