Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Page 7 of 8

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.
If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!
13 for me, and I'm only 33. Damn. Of course, a lot of that was still around in the early 70's when I was a kid.
Jon E
T. wrote:

I got a 12.
Remember? Hell, we still *have* a drive-in. Well, maybe not. Mr. Beasley is looking pretty tired, and there are rumors that he might not re-open in the spring. I'm still hoping. We go to the drive-in every time there's a movie I can take my kids to, which is increasingly rare these days. Food and a flick for four for less than $20. Can't beat it with a stick.
We still have drive-in restaurants too, with people on roller skates even.
I got 20. I'm older than dirt and feel like it today.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:41:58 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Lazarus Long wrote:

My name was almost Michael Valentine McIntyre... :)
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:46:34 -0500, Silvan

What surprises me is that Laz was surprised. Heinlein reached GODHOOD somewhere waaaaay back. A purely delightful author!
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:19:05 -0800, Larry Blanchard

Sounds good. Be sure to seek out copies of any of Christopher Moore's books. I just lost a quart of tears reading (+ laughing throughout) his book "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove".
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Thanks. Hadn't heard of him. I just wrote down the name for next weeks library run.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

25 for 25!! Anybody older?
-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!
(Crying dejectedly) I remember em all, and know where to still get some of them. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/prdSell.asp?ProdGroupID &244
Dave
JOAT writes:

Overseas escaped some kind of tax. Our guys lined up when a ship was nearby, as they could go aboard and fill a duffle bag at 80 cents a carton. Take those into town and sell them for 1.50, and hope to HELL you didn't get caught.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

I scored 100%. I am older than old dirt.
JOAT notes:

Just reinforces my point: bans on alcohol don't work, probably can't work. As someone else noted, many things are invented by a single society, but in the case of booze, some version or other has been invented by every society we've ever uncovered.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

It's been said that prostitution is the worlds second oldest profession - brewer was first. I wouldn't be surprised - our ancestors were undoubtedly drinking alcohol before rape became a crime and sex was restricted :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Yeah, even my *grandmother* makes booze. Wine for her church. She doesn't otherwise drink. Never has in 80-something years.
Silvan writes:

It's legal to make up to 200 gallonos of wine for your own use. Used to have an Italian landlord who did that: I had the basement apartment; he made wine in the other end; you could get drunk walking down the hall, it almost seemed. Great stuff. This guy was a delight. Hardest working man I've ever know. By the time I left Albany, he'd gone from one 4 story apartment building to being rich. Worked as a laborer when he first got here.
Charlie Self "I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa Zsa Gabor
Charlie Self wrote:

It is kind of surprising how often that works out. Hard work and *enormous* risks I guess. I'm risk-averse, which makes me a very lousy entrepeneur. I go for the sure thing every time, and the sure thing is always the option that pays the least.
On 03 Jan 2004 22:05:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie, look beyond banning alcohol entirely. How about very heavy taxation so that drinking beyond a socially accepted range becomes too expensive to sustain?
Cape Cod Bob responds:

Aren't we at least trying to do that already? Another one of the reasons alcohol and tobacco will never be banned is the amount of money the 2 substances bring in to various governments. If marijuana brought in a similar amount, it would be on sale at all convenience stores.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
It would but it's illegal. Illegal in the US means free market. either legalize it and make money off it or really do something about it. Neither option has been tried yet.

Comon, Charlie. If pot and other "recreational drugs" were legalized, regulated and taxed like booze the amount of tax dollars would be staggering. Just ask all the "importers" and "retailers" willing to risk serious prision time and death to keep our supply lines WIDE open in the US. They do it for the HUGE amounts of money. Very little of that goes to the farmer or the processors. Legalized with production competition, raw material costs, production costs and packaging/marketing costs would be nominal - leaving enourmous amounts for profits and taxes. If you then factor in the reduction in prision costs, policing costs, court costs and add some funds for detox and treatment programs and lord only knows how many votes could be bought. (of course you lose the votes of prision guards, policemen, judges, criminal justice staffers, drug "importers" and "retailers", and others with a vested interest in the "War for...ooops ON Drugs").
As to the other poster whose solution to all social ills seems to be taxes, what "illicit" product or activity that people want has ever been taxed out of existence? Not tobacco, not drugs, not prostitution, not Big Macs. Methinks this is just a way to shift the tax burden of all the social programs you want onto "Other People". These types of taxes are also extremely regressive as upper middle class and wealthy folks spend a far smaller percentage of their income on tobacco & booze than poorer people. Hey sounds like that other panacea for shifting taxes to "Other People" - Gambling.
Dave Hall