Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

I hope you come through that OK, Charlie. Some people die of lung cancer at

50 without ever lighting a butt, and other people smoke five packs a day until age 103. You just never really know. I personally think the risk is blown way out of proportion, but then as an active smoker, and a young man besides, you'd expect me to think that. :)

I figure I'm spending $1,000. A nice budget, but OTOH if SWMBO doesn't have to buy me my cigarettes, will I ever actually *see* the $20 a week I'm saving?

Probably not. It will end up getting funneled into stupid useless pieces of shiny metal and rock more than likely. One sad but true reason why I haven't gotten around to quitting the damn things yet.

Reply to
Silvan

I scored 100%. I am older than old dirt.

Reply to
RJ

My Grandpappy smoked unfiltered Camels till his dying day at 86 years of age from prostate cancer. My Pappy never smoked and died at 89 years of age from colon cancer. My mom smoked for about 30 years, then quit. She's still going (though rather slowly) at age 91. You just never know, but smoking can't be good for you. I smoked for 30+ years before quiting and don't have any detectable health problems - yet.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Thanks. Hadn't heard of him. I just wrote down the name for next weeks library run.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The most important health decision you make is choosing your parents. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

My paternal grandfather, who INHALED Prince Albert pipe tobacco through a pipe for almost 80 years, was forced by the doctor's to quit smoking at 93, then died five years later of cancer. I smoked for 30 years, and quit 12 years ago ... a little voice in the back of my head, which kept getting louder and louder as time went by, left NO doubt it was the thing to do.

Just got over a serious lung infection, missed almost two months in the shop as a result, and wonder just how much my smoking made me suspectible to it in the first place.

While it isn't any of my business, my tendency is to say: "Quit smoking Michael! ... put the money saved into wood/tools and do your _future_ health a big favor to boot."

Reply to
Swingman

Good advice. None of my business either, but think of how much better you, your house, your clothing will smell, and how many fewer holes you'll have in clothing, upholstery, etc.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Ayup. Sure. Smoking killed my father, my mother and my kid sister. So far, 3 out of 5. Way the hell out of proportion.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Charlie, I never really got above a pack, or so, a day. Unfiltered Camels, or Lucky Strikes {isn't *that* name ironic !!}. Any more than that and my chest would 'get tight'.

Although my MIL 'smoked like a chimney', none of her three kids would say or do anything. After we got married, Joanne had her own 'way' of pushing the issue. If I started to smoke when we were driving in the car, she would roll down her window, wrap a scarf {handkerchief, etc.}around her face, and lean next to it . . . NO MATTER what the weather !!

Cold, Hot, Wet, Snow . . . crap flying all around . . . no matter. For a shicksa, she sure learned how to use the Jewish 'Guild Offense' in short order !!

It's been so long, I can't remember the last time I had a cigarette. But every time one of those 'Stop Smoking' spots come on . . . the feeling comes into my head to go out and buy a pack of 'Luckies'. Joanne says it's just because I'm, 'Contrary & Ornery'.

Ron Magen

And how much more time you'll have to teach woodworking to your grandkids.

(I was a 2-1/2 pack-a-day man until I quit in my 30's. That was 20 or so years ago and I've never looked back. No grandkids yet but I'm looking forward to the time I'll spend with them in the shop when they arrive.)

John Carlson

Ron Magen notes:

Could be. I always swore I'd never be one of those PITA ex-smokers. I've got a couple friends like that, they panic and sweep their hands through the air when someone lights up near them, and so on. But the longer I'm off the butts, the less I can stand being around them, and the more I feel they are ruinous, both fiscally and physically.

So I get to be a PITA. But I still abhor those damned anti-smoking crusade ads.

Luckies and Camels. I started on Viceroys, graduated to Camels, changed to Luckies when I got out of the Marines. I was still smoking Luckies when I finally quit. Makes me wonder how many bucks I made for the various governments taxing those things.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

I've been off of them (and my pipes) for 6-7 years now, and they're just beginning to smell bad. But I've resisted complaining since I inflicted the smell on others for 45 years :-).

BTW, my cardiologist said I could have a cigar once a month. I've been doing that for the same length of time. People ask how I can do that and not smoke more - I don't know but it doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact, I'm probably cigar free till the weather warms up - I don't smoke them in the house :-).

But if I make it to 80, I plan on quitting exersizing, getting out my pipes, and puffing up a storm!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I never smoked and was never tempted to do so, but everytime I hear one of those blasted PSA anti-smoking ads, the urge to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes sweeps over me. I guess it's because those ads are a) stupid, b) condescending, and c) take the idea of government as caregiver in the role of "mother knows best" to the extreme.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Just hafta hang out around smokers so I still have that "eau de ashtray" scent, and she doesn't catch on. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I was referring to second-hand smoke, I'm almost certain. Some comment about smokers killing non-smokers with their smoke. I'm too lazy to look back and verify that.

Reply to
Silvan

Holes in things aren't a real problem. The smell isn't really an issue either. It just masks the unwholesome dog smells.

What I don't like is thinking back to all those biology text books showing pictures of lungs dripping with black goo, and thinking that my lungs look like that now.

Know where I can get a Round Tuit?

Reply to
Silvan

As "chaw", definitely. for cigarettes, I dunno.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Mark & Juanita responds:

Or a bunch of teenagers running around giving advice and taking up petitions.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

When the gov't first mandated the "warning" messages on cigarette packs, my father (a *non-smoker*, and a marketing professions), was known to express the opinion that the various manufacturers should run the following notice on the opposite side of each pack, same style, lettering, etc.

"Mortality Rate For Non-Smokers: 100%"

Care to guess how long the "warning" mandate would have stayed in effect, in the face of _that_ ?? People wouldn't be able to stop laughing.

And, if the gov't tried to ban such a 'counter-notice', just imagine the fun in the courts -- the statement is absolutely truthful, and a legitimate exercise of 1st amend rights. Highly doubtful it would even get to the appellate court, let alone the Supremes.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi