Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Page 4 of 8
I agree with you and neither am I young or a smoker.
I personally think the risk is

CW writes:

Ayup. Sure. Smoking killed my father, my mother and my kid sister. So far, 3 out of 5. Way the hell out of proportion.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
Charlie Self wrote:

I was referring to second-hand smoke, I'm almost certain. Some comment about smokers killing non-smokers with their smoke. I'm too lazy to look back and verify that.
The majority of my fathers side of the family smoke. None have died from anything related to it. My grandfather died at age 78 from totally natural causes. He smoked since age 8. Grew up on a tobacco farm.

Well, it's obviously partially genetic and some are more susceptible than others. But, in no case can it be good for you.
My dad died the night before Thanksgiving, of some kind of obstructive lung condition (can't read the doc's writing). Near the end, he was on 10 litres of oxygen and still wasn't doing well breathing. He'd had problems for a while, and they kept getting worse. Not on oxygen, but had he made it home, that was probably in the cards.
83 years old, a nice ripe age as folks kept telling me. Problem was, his side of the family tended to live to near 100. Heavy smoker since way back from unfiltered camels to more tame marlboros of late. Tapered down from his prolly 3 packs a day, and in fact he quit several times, but always started up again.
So, no you don't always get lung cancer from cigarettes, but there's a lot of other gotchas just waiting for ya.
Renata
wrote:

smart, not dumb for email
That and every other thing on the planet. You could always be a Howard Hughes. See how far that gets you.

CW writes:

Hell, my mother's father grew tobacco, and died of a kick in the head by a mule, when he was about 72.
So what?
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
You know what. Quit acting ignorent.

Do you have any teeth?
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

LOL!
--
Alex
Charlie Self wrote:

Just hafta hang out around smokers so I still have that "eau de ashtray" scent, and she doesn't catch on. :)
They were .25 a pack when I first bought a pack in the 50's ... with two pennies change under the cellophane. When I was in the service in the 60's they were a $1.90/carton, or .19 a pack at the PX.
When I was in England in the early 60's, you pretty much had to be rich to smoke, or else roll your own, which I did. A five pack of Players was about .75 US then, but you could buy one cigarette at a time in kiosk's and many stores ... a weekend luxury for me to smoke a ready roll.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

How much would you pay to get emphysema?

And 20 more years. The wreck needs you, Mike. Toss 'em.
Bob
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:59 -0500, Silvan

I didn't gain much weight when I quit, but I still don't have any fingernails. Started chewing them to give me something to do with my hands and now I can't break *that* habit. Oh, well. I don't think that fingernails are a health hazard.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Mine are today. ;-) Kitchen drain clogged. A bottle of goop & 24 hours did no good so I snaked it with my 25' snake. That didn't clear it so I rented a 50'. Fortunately that cleared the clog. I washed my hands like Hawkeye & Trapper John on MASH but they're still nasty looking. No way I'm chewing any fingernails.
-- Mark
Try some mayo or at the worst some bacon grease. Both work like a charm for stubborn grime. Mayo works really well when you work on a vehicle and get your hands greasy... Transmission fluid has a detergent effect also.

Mark Jerde wrote:

The joys of home ownership... Nothing says homeowner like digging around in the poopy end of a terlet.
About every ten years these quizes float around. Almost word for word. George
(George G) doesn't address anyone, with: About every ten years these quizes float around. Almost word for word. George
I don't find that making it any less enjoyable.
JOAT
The advantage of getting old is two fold. 1. You score high because you remember all the items listed. 2. You don't remember that you just read this last week. Ed
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:59 -0500, Silvan

Count yourself lucky, $65 Kanuckistani loonies for a carton. Nine bucks a pack. Multiply by .75 to get it US dollars.