Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Probably. I gained more weight than I ever thought possible. I seem to have stabilized now, about 90 pound above my "normal" weight.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Ah, yes! The old double feature. I think they used to cost about a quarter and eat an ENTIRE afternoon. Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Looking for one in your area?

Joe Gorman

They were .25 a pack when I first bought a pack in the 50's ... with two pennies change under the cellophane. When I was in the service in the 60's they were a $1.90/carton, or .19 a pack at the PX.

When I was in England in the early 60's, you pretty much had to be rich to smoke, or else roll your own, which I did. A five pack of Players was about .75 US then, but you could buy one cigarette at a time in kiosk's and many stores ... a weekend luxury for me to smoke a ready roll.

Reply to
Swingman

How much would you pay to get emphysema?

And 20 more years. The wreck needs you, Mike. Toss 'em.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I did some roll-your-own in college in the 70's but mostly it wasn't tobacco.

John Carlson

Overseas escaped some kind of tax. Our guys lined up when a ship was nearby, as they could go aboard and fill a duffle bag at 80 cents a carton. Take those into town and sell them for 1.50, and hope to HELL you didn't get caught.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

I didn't gain much weight when I quit, but I still don't have any fingernails. Started chewing them to give me something to do with my hands and now I can't break *that* habit. Oh, well. I don't think that fingernails are a health hazard.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Mine are today. ;-) Kitchen drain clogged. A bottle of goop & 24 hours did no good so I snaked it with my 25' snake. That didn't clear it so I rented a 50'. Fortunately that cleared the clog. I washed my hands like Hawkeye & Trapper John on MASH but they're still nasty looking. No way I'm chewing any fingernails.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Try some mayo or at the worst some bacon grease. Both work like a charm for stubborn grime. Mayo works really well when you work on a vehicle and get your hands greasy... Transmission fluid has a detergent effect also.

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

The joys of home ownership... Nothing says homeowner like digging around in the poopy end of a terlet.

Reply to
Silvan

My name was almost Michael Valentine McIntyre... :)

Reply to
Silvan

Maybe we can buy ours from Mr. Beasley and see about making it the second community-owned drive-in in the state.

Those FM thingies sound interesting. Ours has pole speakers that have been in service since 1952. Audio quality is not the best, shall we say.

These things' days are numbered no matter what though. Nobody is going to pay $BIGNUM for one of those digital projectors, and celluloid film is about to go the way of LPs.

Reply to
Silvan

Die from a heart attack from all the weight, or die from emphyzema... Bleah.

You actually have emphyzema now don't you? Aren't you the quit smoking and buy a damn dust mask poster boy? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Reply to
Silvan

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:59 -0500, Silvan scribbled:

Count yourself lucky, $65 Kanuckistani loonies for a carton. Nine bucks a pack. Multiply by .75 to get it US dollars.

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:19:05 -0800, Larry Blanchard brought forth from the murky depths:

Sounds good. Be sure to seek out copies of any of Christopher Moore's books. I just lost a quart of tears reading (+ laughing throughout) his book "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove".

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:46:34 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

What surprises me is that Laz was surprised. Heinlein reached GODHOOD somewhere waaaaay back. A purely delightful author!

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Someone else. I got a lot wrong with me--ask my first wife--but not emphysema (yet). I smoked so heavily for so long that if there's no more penalty than the pounds, I'll be way, way ahead of the game. The evening I quit, I finished almost 4 packs of cigarets for the day, and that was not far above the norm. Even at 90 cents a pack, that was getting costly.

But I sometimes remember to wear hearing protection and a dust mask.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

When I quit 12 years ago I was easily spending $1500/year on cigarettes ... that's a nice annual tool budget.

Reply to
Swingman

Am I wrong or do your packs have 25 cigs each? If so and if there are still 10 packs to a carton, then yours have 25% more cigarettes. Still pricy, but works to about $39 US per 100 cig carton. I think that Marlboros are now about $38 or so in PA as they just kicked the tax up another $3.50. Good thing I quit a couple years ago.

Reply to
David Hall