Re: OT - maybe humor... maybe not - you decide...

Page 1 of 3
Mike Marlow wrote:

I heard about a woman who was a vegetarian, but she did eat eggs because she also supported a woman's right to choose.
I don't know her political affiliation.
Zz Yzx wrote:

Agreed. But the "independent" voter is the most dependent of all. The "independent" voter has no say in who the candidates will be, has no input into the policies, platforms, and promises of the candidate, and has no influence with the ultimate winner.
At my polling place, there will be in excess of three hundred names on a general election ballot (national, state, county, local, school board, etc.). To make the "best" decision on each race would require, literally, hundreds of hours of study and preparation. One would have to visit innumerable web sites, collect literature, attend town-hall meetings, check with supporters, and run a gamut of other avenues to reach a truly informed decision. While this might be ideal, virtually no one goes to that much trouble.
No, the "independent" voter only gets to choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee (sometimes also Dumbo).
A better approach is to pick a political party most in tune with your views and work within it. Donate money, pass out literature, get elected as a delegate from your precinct to the county convention (and from there to the state convention and from there to the national convention). Knock on doors. Make telephone calls. Put up yard signs. Pass out bumper stickers.
It could be about the same amount of work as the first example, but in the latter you can influence the outcome far more than a single vote.

I agree!!!
Rules say I can't put signs in my yard. Otherwise I'm doing some of those things. I have lame and not so lame reasons not to go vie to be a delegate.
--
Best regards
Han

Why?

That's the rule in our community. No signs in the yard. Bumperstickers are OK. Other parts of town get really littered with election stuff. I am happy here!
--
Best regards
Han

That "rule" has no teeth.

As long as it's your property (not the city right-of-way), there is nothing they can do to stop you. I suppose you haven't heard of the First Amendment. Yes, it covers *precisely* this situation.

I chose to live here (http://radburn.org ), knowing there are restrictions. End of story. There are other ways to show my first amendment rights that don't pollute my environment.
--
Best regards
Han

I didn't know Christie had managed to secede from the US. The fact is that even *he* cannot repeal the first amendment by himself. Obama will probably succeed but until then, the First still stands and NJ is still part of the US. Really. IOW, you're wrong.

Sorry, Keith, it has been litigated to the highest court here, very recently, and the not-for-profit corporation can do these long established things. Moreover, on a related but separate subject, first amendment or not, there are rules for where you can put billboards.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Right. The interesting part is that there are NO limits, including profanity or nudity, that may be used in a political TV or radio ad.

ABC News showed us that this evening, on national TV, when Clint was mouthing "fuck off" in the news clip on his "performance" last evening!
Now, I don't care what he says or when, but I thought it was a little "off" as an "ad" for family values Republicans ...
--
Best regards
Han

ABC (and its news team) are slanted _very_ liberal, Han. What's this about a Clint Eastwood ad for family values on ABC?
If it were an ad, that skepticism could be good, but it wasn't. So, what about Michelle Obama's values? She said that the only time she had ever been proud of her country was when it elected her hubby Prez. (though she shallowly denied that)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY73RO_egw

And how about her mouthing "All this for a damned flag?" at the 9/11 ceremonies?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJgWMI0hch8

I understand that her thesis at Columbia was about the _value_ of segregation. The bitz is as bigoted and un-American as it gets, IMHO. I hope none of those are your values, Han.
-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807
Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ

It wasn't an ad in the literal sense, Larry. It was part of the Eastwood "presentation" just before Mitt's speech. So in effect it was an adof sorts from the Republican party.

That statement is perhaps literally true, but taken out of context, Larry.

Some people attach exaggerated importance to symbols. Just my opinion. Symbols have a purpose by referring to a broader idea, philosophy or similar. I like symbols, but in the US the flag is often holier than a piece of the cross to catholics. (or fill in your own analogy).

Sorry, it seems from what I read here <http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8642.html a perfectly appropriate subject for a middle 80s thesis by a black person. I'm fairly sure you remember those times where the civil rights movement and its early consequences were discussed ad nauseam. And perhaps you could call Princeton a bullwark of liberalism in those days. Perhaps a bit hypocritical as well. I don't remember. Princeton was the one university that didn't want my daughter.
--
Best regards
Han

Bull. Her statement contained its own full context, Han. She made sure of that. What it implies is that she had never been proud of her country until then. That and the preachers she and Barack listened to in Chicago tell me that they are not the type of people we want in front of us on TV, let alone running the country and setting examples for people to follow.

She was dissing the entire commemoration of 9/11 AND the flag. She's a true UNpatriot.

Oops, yeah, Princeton, not Columbia. (All those schools look the same to me. ;) It seems to me that for a person who is trying to get out from under the thumb of racism, writing a thesis about it and living your life with people of only one color is the exact reverse of what they would want to do. People who have succeeded the most have forgotten the color of their skin. Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, Connie Rice, O.J. (oops), George Washington Carver, Colin Powell, etc. all forgot their differences and soared in our society. Michelle wants to rub our noses in her blackness for some reason. She belongs with people who do that: The Right Reverends Jesse Jackson, Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farrakhan, and that temple of innocence, Al Sharpton.
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

That's what I mean, Mike. In oher parts of town the yard signs proliferate like mad rabbits in early spring. People even put them in the public right of way along the roads.
--
Best regards
Han

Is that a question? ;) Bbbut, "It's all Bush's Fault!" Just ask 'em. Lord Obama can do no wrong in their eyes. It's utterly amazing.

I'd like a "None of the Above" checkbox on the President line on my November ballot, please.
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
wrote in

Bush, but the last 2 Congresses share the blame. Mainly because the party of no is only interested in trying to make Obama a 1-term president. Their obstructionism alone should condemn them.

That is ostrich-policy - sticking your head in the sand and pretending it isn't happening.
--
Best regards
Han

<sigh> You read far too many liberal papers, Han. I don't consider itto be anything close to obstructionism when it slows the MASSIVE waste flow of pork money by the CONgresscritters on a daily basis.

I'll be writing-in this year. I can't stomach either of the 2 choices. Since Ross Perot isn't available, I'll be writing "Ron Paul" on the line. He probably won't win, either, but I'd truly rather have him there than either of the other two idiots.
(P.S: If anyone wants to say I'm wasting my vote, please consider my GFY shouted back to you in advance, with extreme prejudice.)

(P.S: If anyone wants to say I'm wasting my vote, please consider my GFY shouted back to you in advance, with extreme prejudice.) =================================================================No need to say it. You already know it.
-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807
Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
On 8/30/2012 5:37 PM, CW wrote:

I thought about starting a national campaign for None of the Above.