Re: (OT) Killing our own soldiers

Dhakala (in snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com) said:
| Even setting aside all moral and political considerations, I could | NEVER recommend a career with a military organization that | deliberately exposes our kids to lethal substances; fails to follow | its own rules about informing/training them to minimize the risks; | and fights a war of denial, propaganda, red tape, and attrition | against veterans who come home with horrifying disabilities that | could have been avoided. | | I'm ashamed of the VA and the entire government that enables this | travesty.
Not to change the subject or anything; but whatever led you to believe that the materials of war were conducive to good health?
It is and has always been a perilous business - and the features you describe have changed little over thousands of years. Could it be that /you/ have been in denial?
The VA sometimes does drop the ball - and sometimes they get it right. It's an organization of human beings struggling to do the right thing while the career bureaucrats who manage the organization struggle to fund those things they hope will make things work better.
Hmm... Would you prefer /no/ VA? What positive course of action (that means: other than bitching and whining) are you taking to improve the situation?
Morris Dovey wrote:

To get even further off topic, Morris, I note you're from Iowa. My wife's family is as well, and they're right wing to the max. Since you usually come down on the center/liberal side of the fence (as do I), I wonder if you're lonely in Iowa?
I did convert my wife to reality, but it took a few years :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard (in snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com) said:
| Morris Dovey wrote: | || || Not to change the subject or anything; but whatever led you to || believe that the materials of war were conducive to good health? | | To get even further off topic, Morris, I note you're from Iowa. My | wife's family is as well, and they're right wing to the max. Since | you usually come down on the center/liberal side of the fence (as | do I), I wonder if you're lonely in Iowa?
Lonely? Not particularly - but I'm willing to listen to anyone and be convinced to change my mind when warranted. If labels are important, then I think I'd prefer to be labeled "pragmatic" - I have a strong preference for things that work really well.
I'm not (originally) from Iowa. I was born in Georgia of parents from Illinois and Michigan, was transplanted briefly to northern Indiana, grew up in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia, went to boarding school and college back in Indiana, did computer systems design and development all over the place - and finally ended up in Iowa. Somewhere in there I took a couple of years off to wear sloppy green, learn another language, and jump out of perfectly good flying machines.
<soapbox> FWIW, I particularly despise when labels like "conservative" and "liberal" are used in a pejoritive sense to polarize, alienate, and foster fear and distrust - and I particularly value courage, justice, and truth. When those three are present then labels don't much matter. </soapbox>
Probably more information than you wanted...
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Not really ... thank you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net