Re: OT Joe Cocker, RIP

Listening to _Mad Dogs & Englishmen_ as I post this.
RIP.

I remember going to see that movie when young and walking around the city. Never heard of him before I saw the movie. It made me a believer. I was a Joe Cocker fan from that day forth. I bought all his albums and saw him perform several times.
One other lasting impression of that movie was the "greasy piano" of Leon Russell. Joe Cocker always had a good piano player. He said he needed it to play off of. He would interact with that piano directly when performing. Two totally different instruments harmonizing.
I always was interested in the Beatles response to him covering their songs. A bunch of stuff is coming out about that I did not know. They appreciated what he did for their songs. Any songwriter would have been proud to have Joe Cocker interpret their music in his unique style. It was a super compliment. They would call him up and make suggestions for songs of theirs for him to sing.
On 23/12/2014 9:03 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

collection of classical cds, lps and tapes. However, I have only *one* album that isn't classical and that is "Mad Dogs & Englishmen". I play it about once every 2 years. Graham
I can't think of Joe without seeing John Belushi playing him on SNL... Hilarious.
Rest easy, Joe. And thanks.
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

Exactly! The two of them together was a classic.

At least nobody in our age group!