Re: OT Joe Cocker, RIP

Listening to _Mad Dogs & Englishmen_ as I post this.

RIP.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I remember going to see that movie when young and walking around the city. Never heard of him before I saw the movie. It made me a believer. I was a Joe Cocker fan from that day forth. I bought all his albums and saw him perform several times.

One other lasting impression of that movie was the "greasy piano" of Leon Russell. Joe Cocker always had a good piano player. He said he needed it to play off of. He would interact with that piano directly when performing. Two totally different instruments harmonizing.

I always was interested in the Beatles response to him covering their songs. A bunch of stuff is coming out about that I did not know. They appreciated what he did for their songs. Any songwriter would have been proud to have Joe Cocker interpret their music in his unique style. It was a super compliment. They would call him up and make suggestions for songs of theirs for him to sing.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I listen to classical music and have what to some would be a large collection of classical cds, lps and tapes. However, I have only *one* album that isn't classical and that is "Mad Dogs & Englishmen". I play it about once every 2 years. Graham

Reply to
graham

I can't think of Joe without seeing John Belushi playing him on SNL... Hilarious.

Rest easy, Joe. And thanks.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

At least nobody in our age group!

Reply to
upscale

Exactly! The two of them together was a classic.

Reply to
Leon