Re: OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Page 12 of 13
wrote in message

I'm just trying to emphasize that it was pure luck that no one else was hurt by flying bullets.
--
Best regards
Han
wrote in message

That is exactly what I meant by waiting for facts. How do you know it was pure luck? Is there even such a thing as luck? How do you know there was flying bullets? How many shots were fired? Could be shooter No 1 waited until there was no one else in range. We don't know that and yet you say it was pure luck. I don't believe it.
wrote in message

There were 2 shooters who shot each other dead. That's really the only relevant facts that I know. (Yes, they were provoked by their wives, or whatever the relationships were). In such a case I think it is indeed pure luck that eithere only 2 shots were fired, or all the other shots (I don't know the number fired) went either totally in the object of each shooter or completely wide of anyone.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

If there's "pure luck" it might be that the luck was that both shooters had been practicing regularly so that they hit what they were aiming at.
--John

It might make a decent human interest story to find out in a year or so what has happened to Joe and see how it correlates to his situation during the election.

Now, *that one* made me laugh. Here it is almost 3:30 am and the neighbours must be wondering what all the laughing was about. :)

What I'd like to see is a significant portion of a mob arrested and hit with really severe fines or imprisonment appropriate to the crime and then have their pictures and names plastered in the local newspaper. Not five or six arrests like usually happens, but 100-200 arrests, enough to make people think twice about using mob mentality to steal or destroy.

The problem is that the people at the front that could see things are likely being pushed by the rear columns that do not know what is going on.
Wes

Well, the UK has, I am told, more security cameras per head of population, than any other country in the world but we still have many problems.
Due to "human rights" it seems the thugs have more rights than the victims. There seem to be regular reports in the newspapers of public spirited people trying to make a stand and being banged up by the courts while the offenders get off scot free. We, as householders, have no rights to protect our property and can do little in self defence.
I don't have a problem with cameras but I do object to UK government plans to monitor all internet traffic.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/government-black-boxes-will-collect-every-email-992268.html
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show
"Stuart"

I'm not surprised. Years ago, when I lived the UK (early 60's), it was always surprising to me that when anyone was stopped on the street, one of the two 'Bobbies' who did the stopping would walk off a few yards with his walkie-talkie, and, in two minutes knew who owned your house, what you paid in taxes, whether your telly license was up to date, where you worked, how much you made, and what your blood type was.
Still, since my oldest daughter is married to a POME and lives in Sheffield, I am partial to the country. :)
You guys always seem to be about 5 to 10 years ahead of us in cultural and social issues, both good and bad, from TV programs to privacy issues. Besides, there is nothing more pitiful/shameful on earth than the piss poor attempts our TV industry makes to mimic even the BBC's programming.
But ... do us a favor and try to keep that sharia bullshit on that side of the ocean!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Is that one of these?
POME    Palm Oil Mill Effluent POME    Prisoner Of Mother England POME    Product Of My Environment POME    Philosophy of Mathematics Education (journal) POME    Point of Market Entry POME    Point of Main Effort POME    Principles of Motion Economy POME    Prisoner of Her Majesty of England
    miswired minds...     jo4hn

Yeah, well it's up here in Canada and has been approved in one or more places from what I've heard. And, I too think that it's out of place alongside Canadian law. I don't profess to know the finer details about Sharia law, but every time I read or hear about it, the topic seems to be something to do with a woman getting ripped off in some way.
"Upscale" wrote >

Purposely not dignified with a capital letter.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I'm afraid it's one of the problems caused by having a labour (left wing) government and who the idiots are who keep voting them back I don't know but it aint me!
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show
"Robatoy" wrote

Absolutely no shame in that ... why? Because you never know when that may change, and in the blink of an eye. It could happen tomorrow.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You sound like SWMBO ... to your credit. :)
I normally snip. but the above deserves repeating.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I especially like the part in our Constitution that says "all men must compete for bargains at holidays sales" No one made them get up to go to the store, be it Wal Mart, Best Buy, JC Penney, etc.
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 02:42:30 +0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote

It's next to the bits that say that in order to be accepted/admired by your peers:

a slight edge or

alpha status

school door in a military

limited options... (C,P,J,X,Y,Z...)

and many, many more things that are not actually written down but nevertheless are "rules." Some are very loose and need only be followed by those seeking some sort of alpha or celebrity status, Close behind are those which to transgress would only have you labelled as "uncool" or "unusual" in some way. Disregarding others would maybe have you considered as "harmlessly eccentric" and maybe regarded more or less suspiciously. Yet others would be very dangerous not to go along with. A lot depends on where (and when) you are and whom you're with.
This stuff doesn't have to be written down. It still provides leverage on society.
I agree that nowhere does it say that man must be a sheep, herded by market forces, manipulated by the marketing industry and driven by advertising to consume or behave in a certain way - but look around you and tell me it ain't necessarily so. Were it not, we would not have seen the tragedy that kicked this thread off.
Look around you and tell me people are _really_ free.
I really wish you could.
Doctors vs. Gun owners
Doctors
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of
Health and Human Services.
Now think about this:
Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
(Yes, that's 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups,is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.
Statistics courtesy of FBI
So,statistically, doctors are approximately
9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
REMEMBER, GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE - DOCTORS DO
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!
Out of concern for the public at large,
I withheld the statistics on lawyers
for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention!
Tom