Re: OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

More than once, I've seen Leaf's fans or some other sports fans

> marching up Yonge Street, smashing store windows and looting > everything on > the way.

As in soccer (their football) fans across the pond, especially in the UK.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Swingman" wrote

The "aberrant behavior" is just normal holiday shopping madness. And this sort of thing has happened at walmart before. Which is why I will not go near any of those mob type of sales. Women, in particular, become a frenzied mob when their are limited bargains available. I wonder what the evolutionary biologists would say about this.

There was a case locally, a few years ago, in a parking structure at a mall. The season was Christmas and parking was scarce. A parking space opened up and a woman driving her car darted into the spot. There was another woman, carrying packages, walking by. She got run over. The individual who ran her over ran into the mall to go shopping, leaving her victim laying on the cement with packages scattered.

Witnesses ran to her aid and called the police and the medics. Sho was transported to a hospital and the police waited for the hit and run driver. She came out of the mall and became very indignant when placed under arrest. Her explanation, "Parking was hard to find and she got in my way."

These kinds of holiday madness events occur every year. Sad to say, but that is the way it is.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

What I'd like to see is a significant portion of a mob arrested and hit with really severe fines or imprisonment appropriate to the crime and then have their pictures and names plastered in the local newspaper. Not five or six arrests like usually happens, but 100-200 arrests, enough to make people think twice about using mob mentality to steal or destroy.

Reply to
Upscale

Well, the UK has, I am told, more security cameras per head of population, than any other country in the world but we still have many problems.

Due to "human rights" it seems the thugs have more rights than the victims. There seem to be regular reports in the newspapers of public spirited people trying to make a stand and being banged up by the courts while the offenders get off scot free. We, as householders, have no rights to protect our property and can do little in self defence.

I don't have a problem with cameras but I do object to UK government plans to monitor all internet traffic.

Stuart

"Stuart"

I'm not surprised. Years ago, when I lived the UK (early 60's), it was always surprising to me that when anyone was stopped on the street, one of the two 'Bobbies' who did the stopping would walk off a few yards with his walkie-talkie, and, in two minutes knew who owned your house, what you paid in taxes, whether your telly license was up to date, where you worked, how much you made, and what your blood type was.

Still, since my oldest daughter is married to a POME and lives in Sheffield, I am partial to the country. :)

You guys always seem to be about 5 to 10 years ahead of us in cultural and social issues, both good and bad, from TV programs to privacy issues. Besides, there is nothing more pitiful/shameful on earth than the piss poor attempts our TV industry makes to mimic even the BBC's programming.

But ... do us a favor and try to keep that sharia bullshit on that side of the ocean!

Reply to
Swingman

RE: Subject

As this is being typed the news is coming in that gunman have entered a Toys-R-Us store in Palm Desert, Ca (about 100 miles east of downtown L/A), and are shooting up the place.

Too early for casualty reports.

The mess in India continues.

What the hell is this world coming to?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Robatoy" wrote

Absolutely no shame in that ... why? Because you never know when that may change, and in the blink of an eye. It could happen tomorrow.

Reply to
Swingman

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4P%Xk.1638$us6.1484 @nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

I believe that in order to be allowed to have a firearm, one should have to pass examinations in firearm safety, mental stability, and have never been convicted of any crime or tresspass with violent overtones, including sale of a firearm to unauthorized person(s). Anyone who fails any such exam should be entered onto a blacklist.

The right to bear arms should not be extended to those not qualifying.

Hey, my opinions are mine!!

Reply to
Han

Swingman wrote: [snippage throughout]>

Is that one of these?

POME Palm Oil Mill Effluent POME Prisoner Of Mother England POME Product Of My Environment POME Philosophy of Mathematics Education (journal) POME Point of Market Entry POME Point of Main Effort POME Principles of Motion Economy POME Prisoner of Her Majesty of England

miswired minds... jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Kind of like the literacy tests in the south?

It's already illegal for anyone who has been judged incompetent, been convicted of a felony (including sale of a firearm to unauthorized persons) to possess a firearm.

Have you heard of the National Instant Background Check? Before purchasing a firearm, that database is consulted and if any of the conditions stated above, plus a few more such as outstanding restraining orders, arrest (not necessarily conviction) for domestic violence, and several others are encountered, the sale is refused.

Wouldn't it be better if California had more liberal carry laws in which the gunmen (already committing an illegal act) didn't know who might be armed and put a stop to their mayhem?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yes, your opinions are yours *S*.

Criminals don't have sensitivity training, weapons training, scruples, morals..yadda, yadda.

Sooo.. MY idea, is that in order to be equal to the enemy, one must think and behave like one. IOW, get a gun when you can, to hell with regulations. The biggest fear I have, is a government that tries to disarm its population. What COULD they be up to?

If I am to believe that I have nothing to fear, then nobody should fear my .50 calibre. It is in good, safe, well-trained hands. I take care of my stuff, you take care of yours.

And if you know what you're doing, a .50 calibre can take out an Apache helicopter, talking to it won't work.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Seems to me that it would all depend upon what the poiny thing in your = arms is saying and whether or not what is being said is having an = impact upon the object of your dissertation.

Also seems to me a .50 could make real believers out of most miscreants.

P D Q (G)

Reply to
PDQ

Under Federal law no person who has been convicted of a felony or been adjudicated criminally insane is allowed to own a firearm, so you pretty much have what you want.

It used to be that being committed would be a block, but the courts struck that down.

Passing examinations in order to exercise a right has a very bad reputation in the US, where such tests were used to bar minorities from voting.

In which case it becomes a privilege and not a right.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Plenty of laws exist. The problem is that people don't always obey the law. Making more laws won't help in that situation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good idea in principle, Han, but I doubt it'd keep any firearms out of the possession of criminals. All it would do is penalize the honest citizen. Anyone who knew they couldn't pass the exam would just get a gun on the black market.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The reports are in.

Seems two women got into a "cat" fight, hair pulling, the whole bit, inside the store.

The men accompanying the women were each packing heat (Just what you need to go to the toy store) which they pulled out and shot and killed each other as the fight escalated..

Darwin rules.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, well it's up here in Canada and has been approved in one or more places from what I've heard. And, I too think that it's out of place alongside Canadian law. I don't profess to know the finer details about Sharia law, but every time I read or hear about it, the topic seems to be something to do with a woman getting ripped off in some way.

Reply to
Upscale

Extend that to drivers license too. Road rage is more dangerous with more horse power than any gun and fools can take out groups with one aim and action. There are a lot of dummies with keys. Fewer carry loaded guns wherever they go. If they do carry a gun, if sober it might be better to run you over. That might fly as an accident in court.

A shooting always looks like malice.

Reply to
RLM

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:H_OdnR-jq-68Oq3UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

No, ability to use the instrument desired in a manner that is safe to the user and others. I have no objection to people having guns if they are used and stored in a safe manner. Well, I still think it would be a little too easy for an "accident", but US law says apparently that you are allowed a firearm.

Yes, I have heard of the NIBC. Also, that it is easily circumvented in some states/cases. That's why I think a license is a good thing.

No, I don't think we should have multiple participants in a shootout. This case is a good example. Do you really want 10 other people to pull out handguns and start shooting at each other in a crowded department store?

Reply to
Han

Larry Blanchard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm:

I guess I am still too much of a 60's idealist ... (see X-face)

Reply to
Han