Re: OT: In defense of anonymity

Page 3 of 3
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

May be difficultt, but not "impossible" ... how many Matthews, Marks, Lukes, or Johns do you know? Now tell me that some aren't "differentialted".
"What's in a name? The poet is Wilde, but his poetry's tame."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

If there's someone posting as "John", and there's another someone posting as "John", it is to be expected that people may not notice it's two different people called "John". If some is posting as " snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com", it's likely that people have encountered _other_ people posting as "me@ nospam.com", and it's hard to know (or care) if it's the same one, or not.

When the name, or absence of a name, gets in the way of communication, that kind of defeats the purpose of participating in a medium which has the primary purpose of communicating.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Not proof of the statement that it is "impossible".

I would say that anyone who lets the absence of a name" "get in the way" is arguably not open to communication, particularly in a medium where there is no absolute means of, or even reason for, "name" verification.
Besides, just who the hell is "Dave Hinz", and why should I listen to him?
IME, and in the final analysis, CONTENT, and the quality, or lack, thereof, is all that counts.
.... this particular argument notwithstanding. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

And I would say, that even if you don't agree with the reasons for the bias about people who don't put a name behind their words, that it still does exist.
Dave Hinz
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

And I would say, that that is their loss.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I am not one that judges others by their appearance, Dave seems to be that kind of person.
Many kill files will knock off the ones without an address, so they really don't matter in this. The common "anonymous" addresses get used by trolls and spammers eventually. They end up in the killfile too. Sometimes responding to a question from one of these is like talking to someone behind a curtain. It just isn't enjoying without at least some level of identity.
Adding a bit more identity makes things a little easier. Nicknames and taglines help others keep track of who asks what questions, and allows for a little personality to be conveyed over time without necessarily conveying externally identifying information. If we consider that membership in a group is often a long term thing, then this is often good. It isn't unusual to develop certain relationships between identifiable users.
There is the issue of people who regularly change their names or addresses in order to avoid being identified. Unfortunately, those folks typically trolls who realize that without constantly changing identity, they will be picked out as impertinent.
Giving the actual names and addresses goes a bit further, and probably represents more than is required. I suppose it could get in the way in some respects. "John" might convey the actual name of a user, but "The workshop dude" or "The Evening Woodcutter" projects an image of more identification without actually giving an externally identifiable name.
Michael

are confusing anonymity with uniqueness. My newsgroup identity is (almost) anonymous but it is unique. If I continue to use this same nom de web (which is likely since it won't get corrupted by a billion spammers forcing me to change it) then my reputation (good or bad) will be built on my comments and contributions to this newsgroup. That's ok by me.
I've participated in this newsgroup for just a little while and there are already a number of posters that I specifically look for because I know that their advice is thoughtful, helpful to me, and respectful to others - I'm not bothered by the fact I don't know who some of them are. It is *what* they say and how they say it I care about. I might point out that there are also some posters who I purposefully avoid because they are either wrong, disrespectful, or otherwise valueless in content - and I don't care if I know their name or not. In fact, I would prefer that I didn't know their name.
If you have this need to have a real person's name to be able to appreciate the value of their contribution then I'm not sure what it is you value.
TWS