Re: OT: In defense of anonymity

Only for johny-come-lately's. Go back 8 or 10 years and top posting was the norm. If you are following a thread you tend to remember what was said before and having to constantly scroll down is a pain in the finger (insert an appropriate word to replace 'finger' if you wish) to read replies. Replies within previous responses was always acceptable as it is today.

Dave H>

Reply to
Waldo

I'm thinking some one should learn to get along.

Reply to
Leon

Not at all. Top posting has always been looked down upon in Usenet for the reason of following a discussion. Usenet has been around a lot longer than Microsoft and it was Microsoft who introduced the top posting crap with their poor readers. It has only been since the advent of Microsoft readers that top posting has become the issue that it is today. But then again... trimming has always been a considerate behavior as well. A concept that is lost on a lot of bottom posters these days.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If people would learn to trim the fluff, top posting wouldn't even be an issue.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Bingo! I might also add that, despite all the p*ssing and moaning about MS products over the years, I can't recall *any* reader that jumps to BOF in the display. But I agree with LRod, I get really p*ssed scrolling through a long post in a thread I have already read, which quotes every post, and has a single word or sentence at the bottom. I'd rather top posters any day.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

Yes, 8 or 10 years ago, there were also people obliviously top-posting. Most of 'em figured it out eventually. Obviously, those who were oblivious then, may still be oblivious today.

Every FAQ I've read, today or a dozen years ago, advocated trimming of unneeded message rather than lazily including it at the end.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Is it your perception that because someone posts using an apparently real name they are more credible?

I have no way of know whether your legal name is "Dave Hinz", nor does it affect your credibility.

The *content* of your posts affects your credibility.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Well, they're certainly more _distinguishable_. snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com looks like snipped-for-privacy@anon.com looks like snipped-for-privacy@home.com and so on. And I would argue that if one anonymous poster can't readily be distinguised from others, that it makes that person harder to identify (recognize, if you will). If you can't recognize someone, it's just "some guy said" quality of advice, rather than "Dave Balderstone said...".

Well, it's David, actually, as I suspect yours is too.

That too.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz