Re: OT: I am sooo confident in their ability now...

Some time in the late 80s or early 90s, Scientific American had a fascinating article about aircraft simulators, and how advancements in computer technology had already greatly improved their quality. One thing really struck me: a military flight trainer was quoted saying that pilots who survive their first five combat missions have a better than 95% probability of surviving *all* subsequent missions, regardless of the number -- and that the simulators available *then* (ten+ years ago) could give training equivalent to (IIRC) seven or eight combat missions.

That is indeed quite correct. I remember that same issue. However, I fail to see how the parallel can be established with training spooks with simulators to detect terrorists. When all the relevant intelligence about those same terrorists for that simulation comes from "untrained" spooks who failed to detect them. Kinda Catch-22 if you get my meaning...
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto