Re: OT- HUMOR - Ordering pizza in 2008

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com writes: ...

Unfortunately, Bob, it is much too common. My own son was handed such a form to work for a temporary agency that contracts with a major employer in our area. Those "temporary" contracts lasted 23 months, and he had worked for them before, had just had his "rest" of 60 days before starting the new contract. That release of liability (in 1997) gave them immunity from literally anything they might say about him or his work, regardless of whether it had any factual basis, or any basis for that matter. My first question was why did he need to sign anything; he had been employed by them for nearly two years just 7 weeks before. A criminal check for everyone I can see, but not the invasion of bank records, tax returns, interviews with individuals, etc.
People are not aware of the extent of this because most do *not* fully read what they are signing, and, often when they do read it, do not comprehend what it says and can mean.
BTW, congrats on reading *and* understanding!
Glenna

Hmm comprehension thats a novel thought. Rumor has it thats not taught in the grades any more. I think it was replaced with phoenetics.
Knothead wrote:

"phonics" not "phonetics" and anybody who can't understand what he reads using phonics can't understand spoken English either.
--
--John
Johns Said:

Correction noted, Hell sometimes lately I can't understand spoken English. But maybe that is Ebonics..
Knothead

You're about 180 out of phase with that. Phonics is coming back in after a desperate last-ditch effort by the whole-hearted whole-language whole-learning types, precisely because it did not teach reading.
Of course, as is obvious from the postings here, comprehension is a personal thing - like truth. The words are still words, however.

George: Nice.
Bob History is, at best, but fiction agreed upon
J.D.B. DeBow, in DeBow's Review Dec. 1860

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 05:44:28 -0600, "Knothead"

Hmmm, reasonably well-written sentences:now that's a novel thought....