Re: OT Humor: For all you Texicans out there

All correct, but those armadillos with four feet in the air are actually possum on the half-shell. A delicacy in neighboring Louisiana.

Phil

jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
PC

?Sweetened ice tea? is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking

Okay, I'm done wiping tears of laughter from eyes so I can type. This whole thing was funny as hell but the one about tea was way over the top! I can actually remember the first time I saw a glass of water on a dinner table. I was 18 and away from my home town. Till then it had always been tea.

Thanks for the laugh,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

And it ain't the same if you don't drank it from a fruit-jar...... I never knew what a store bought glass looked like till I went into the army...... (take that back, I do remember seeing some that my mom got out of Tide Laundry Soap when she opened up a new box, they actually usta give them away).

Reply to
John-R W

You never had jelly glasses iirc?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I'm a born and raised Texan and damned proud of it. I guess what you posted is funny, but the problem is, I see a whole lot of it as truth. As I looked through it, I kept murmuring - Yep, that's right. It's really kind of amazing. Anyway, I'm fixin-to go out to the shop real early tomorrow. It's been hitting 105° - 108° shortly after lunch (during the week it is lunch; on Sunday, it's dinner) and although its workable, it is a "tad" warm. I find myself drinking a lot of Cokes (Dr. Pepper) during the afternoon.

And for you Yankees, meaning anyone north of the Southside of Dallas, this post isn't OT-Humor, it is a way of life.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I was thinking along similar lines, about all the free glasses (and steak knives and coffee mugs) we used to get at the gas stations, back when "regular" was about 33.9 cents per gallon.

Oh...and being a Texan I'm far from offended by the post: Much more truth than fiction in it. ;-)

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

Hey Bob Wheatley, help us Texans out.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Miner

Heck, a lot of those apply to where I live too. (Southwestern Virginia.)

Yup. Especially this year.

Yup.

Yup.

Yup.

Yup. (NOT stinging nettles. DAMHIKT)

Reply to
Silvan

You forgot the plague of locust - well actually they're just grass hoppers - but BIG Texas sized grass hoppers, in numbers that make waves acrossed a well grazed pasture as you walk down to the stock tank to go fishin' (and dodging cottom mouths and rattlers). At least that's the way it is in Central Texas.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I thought jelly glasses were bought in sets until I saw Momma cleaning the labels off some one day whenI was a kid. She still has some of them. I was drinking tea out of one just a couple of weeks ago. :-)

Reply to
Michael Burton

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

That is a pretty good haul on a bictycle. I was born and raised about 40 miles east of Pecos in Monahans. There isn't a whole lot of scenery between Pecos and Ft. Stockton was there.:-) I know that country well

Reply to
Michael Burton

Reminds me of the line in one of Steve Fromholtz's song: "Come on down to Texas .... for a while." IOW, you're welcome to visit, but please don't stay. ... or: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here quick as I could".

Reply to
Swingman

I lived in Monahans briefly as a kid (Dad was working on a seismograph crew after the war and before he finished college) ... we went swimming in Ft Stockton a few times. IIRC correctly, there was a spring there in those days that folks used to come from miles around to swim in.

Remember cranking an ice cream maker outside by kerosene lantern, while keeping watch for the tarantulas that were as big a dinner plates coming to the light.

Further north, the space were so wide open, that if you stared at the horizon long enough you could see the back of your head.

Reply to
Swingman

My wife collected a set of Bicentinial jelly glasses when she was 18 in 1976. We still have them and they are in the "good" china closet arrainged to be seen through the glass doors. I miss the 1 lb butter bowls that you used to get your margerine in as late as the late 70's. These were great cereal bowls. My mother still has and uses them along with her jelly jars and full set of dishes from Tide ( of course she still has one dress made from floral printed feed bags from when she was a child in the 1930's in the hills of W. Va.) Somehow we now think we are "recycling" when we put our pop cans in a separate container when throwing them away.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Like someone else earlier, I didn't even know glasses could be bought in sets until I was at least 16--ours were always jelly jars. We had some dishes my parents had picked up in theaters in the '30s, when giving away pieces of dinnerware was common. And my mother probably didn't realize there was any other kind of dress that didn't start as a flowered feed sack...slightly north of Charlottesville, VA. Walton's country, really, but as Mom said, there was no chance on earth an farm family around would have a car per kid in the '20s, '30s or, really, until about the '80s.

Charlie Self

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe." Dan Quayle

Reply to
Charlie Self

That spring is called Commanche Springs. It is just a pond now in the park. The spring has dried up do to excessive pumping for irrigation water. One of the finest vinyards and wineries in the country is in Ft. Stockton. St. Genevive I believe is what it is called. I remember cranking on those ice crean freezers too. It was hard work for us kids but it was worth it when the ice cream was ready. :-)

Michael

"Swingman" spoke in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.meganetnews.com:

Reply to
Michael Burton

I showed this list to some who moved to Texas. She added the following items.

  1. You know that 'watching the streets bubble' isn't just an expression.
  2. You know it's done when someone says "Put a fork in it."
  3. They block off the streets so that you *can* stumble from bar to bar with a beer in your hand.
  4. Instead of 'out of order', you'll see signs that say 'it don't work' or 'needs fixin'.
Reply to
Lee Michaels

My great aunt used to very carefully remove, store, and re-use wrapping paper.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Ramsey

A tip of the longneck to number 4!!!!

R> After falling off my chair with laughter, while reading these posts, I

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles