Re: OT - Heating with Wood

snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote in news:dg3vs1

> $ snipped-for-privacy@acadia.ece.villanova.edu: > >> George wrote: >> >>>> only about 65% efficient... >>> >>>"Efficiency" is a matter of how long you can keep the warmed air in the >>>space to be heated. >> >> You are talking about something different. We might say that a heater's >> efficiency is the ratio of the amount of heat released to the house to >> the total amount of heat released when the fuel is completely burned and >> the combustion products are cooled to room temperature. >> >> Nick >> >> > > "Combustion efficiency: (actual heat produced by combustion) divided by > (total heat potential of the fuel consumed)" > >
> This is a very good resource about bioenergy.

I still read Ed as talking about stove efficiency, which is how much of what's produced by burning is recovered to heat the space rather than the chimney. Nick's definition.

Combustion efficiency suffers on oil burners as well, do to incomplete atomization and combustion.

Reply to
George

You apparently haven't heard of death and taxes. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

check out

it's a great way to go. all the wood and ash etc. is outside and away form the house. i heat my house, shop dry kiln ad domestic hot water with mine. here in minnesota gets real nasty cold but the hydofire takes care of it all, i use between 12 & 14 cord a winter using junk wood bass or aspen during the early and late season save the maple and oak for the harsh cold, also makes no diff if the wood is totally dry infact some kinds do better length of burn time if a little green. with good hardwood i will get 18 hours of burn time with a full charge of green hard maple. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen