Re: OT Frost your nuts?

Page 2 of 2
Chris Friesen wrote:

Heh! Can you imagine what it costs to cover 4 sq km with grass seed, let alone MIRRORS?
I have run the numbers. Allowing for conversion efficiency (70%), darkness (12 hours), clouds (20%), and latitude (30N), it would take a solar collector the size of the Los Angeles basin (~1200 sq miles) to supply electricity just for California (~50Gw). The only way to reduce the size of the solar farm is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun.
Leaving aside the cost to construct, install, and maintain something covering 3,000 sq km, the citizens in Los Angles would have to live in perpetual darkness.
Which, when one thinks on it ....

Now, polish that mirror.

They don't. That's the point.

Now find a way to burn that 'new' batch of hydrocarbons cleanly. This is not just about an infinite supply of oil, Bub, it's the mess it makes as well. Same for coal. If the stuff were to deliver itself at a power station for free, it is still godawful dirty. Just looking at the supply is looking at the problem with blinders on.

The biggest culprit, in terms of dirty power, are the base-load generating stations. That's where nuclear shines. ( I know..even in the dark, hahafrickin' ha)

Aluminum production is a VERY small percentage of the power used on a daily basis. So that dog don't hunt. The nice thing about aluminum smelters, is that they can run on off- peak hours smoothing the load curve.
A lot of dirt from fossil fuel also comes from mobile power. Electrification of mass transport (people and goods) is a huge step towards reducing dirty fuel consumption. Outlaw all stinky-fuel powered lawnmowers and weed-whackers and leaf blowers. Put your nation to work with push mowers and burn off some that fat! Outlaw tractors and combines, harvest by hand... burn off even more fat.
See, Bub? You don't have an exclusive on silly-talk. <G>
Now for some light entertainment: *tuning my gittar*
*clearing throat*
When I was a child my family would travel Down to Western Kentucky where my parents were born And there's a backwards old town that's often remembered So many times that my memories are worn.
Chorus: And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away
Well, sometimes we'd travel right down the Green River To the abandoned old prison down by Adrie Hill Where the air smelled like snakes and we'd shoot with our pistols But empty pop bottles was all we would kill.
Repeat Chorus:
Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.
Repeat Chorus:
When I die let my ashes float down the Green River Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin' Just five miles away from wherever I am.
On 1/27/2010 9:09 AM, HeyBub wrote:

If the theory is correct, it would be a Good Thing to encourage that process to take place in more readily accessible locations...

So? Run the aluminum production facilities from some other power source.
Patient to doctor: "It hurts when I do /this/." Doctor to patient: "Well then, don't /do/ that!"
:)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Show us a working base-loade geothermam power plant.

Show us a working solar base-load power plant.

Show us ten sites where a major hydro facility can be built that don't already have one.

Show us a working base-load wind power plant.

This is the only item on your list that is proven to work and to have significant growth capability.

Neither is pretending that pie in the sky is proven technology.

This is a good ideat, too:
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4473382,00.html

There are many but the greenies want dams torn down, not built.

*LOTS* if you include Thorium and surplus weapons Plutonium. Greenies aren't going to like this alternative much either.

What do you want from watermellons. The interest is *not* in energy, rather the opposite.

Proven crude reserves are at their highest level EVER in human history.
On 1/27/2010 8:44 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

All discussion fosters thought on some level, whether you agree with it or not.

Only for the close minded ... and, as we see, it was your choice to either hit the NEXT key, or flap yours.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Morris Dovey wrote:

Yes, it is sufficient to conclude there is no global warming danger if the un-fudged numbers do not point in the same direction.
The universal presumption in almost all things is "that which was will continue to be." In the absence of known forces to the contrary, it is reasonable to assume there will be no change. One certainly does not fabricate changes then claim a trace gas is the cause.