Re: OT:Fox news is allowed to lie.

Page 3 of 5
Leon wrote:

The "special interests" are the experts. Would you trust even the most enlightened legislator to determine the tariff on imported hydrogenated yak fat?
Just yesterday the House voted on a 1,000 page environmental/tax bill, none of whom had read it. As bad as that was, they included a 300-page amendment that starts out: "Page 3, Section 101(b) strike all the words beginning with 'Absalom' thru the first occurance of 'gaggle,' substituting 'Battle of Agincourt' for the struck-out portion."
Swingman wrote:

You paint with too broad a brush. It's a mere 95% of lawyers who give the rest a bad name.
HeyBub wrote:

If all churches had the _same_ absolutes then one could argue that they are moral absolutes. As things stand they are edicts by church authorities.
J. Clarke wrote:

Not exactly. In Judaism, the method for interpretation is vested within the revealed word of God himself ("If a matter comes before you, take it to the Sages of the Generation and be bound thereby"). In the Catholic tradition, the authority for interpretation is vested with the Church as an institution ("As you ordain on earth, so shall it be in heaven"). In the non-Catholic tradition, authority is placed upon the individual, guided by the Holy Spirit ("Whatever").
Mostly, these different methods reach the same conclusion, i.e., murder is prohibited.
Sometimes these methods reach different conclusions, i.e., abortion. The Church says "never;" Judaism says "sometimes yes, but mostly no;" The non-Catholic tradition generally has no institutional standard on the issue.
HeyBub wrote:

Which is all a bunch of bury 'em in BS bafflegab that ignores the point, which is that there is little agreement among the major religions on what constitutes morality, making the decision an arbitrary one by some authority or other (since you are being as pedantic as an Asperger's patient about the word "church"). And you go on about Judaism, "the Catholic tradition", and "the non-Catholic tradition", but you totally ignore the fact that most of the people in the world are not Jews or Christians.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Religion, the biggest con job on the planet, fed by the unwillingness of man to accept death as being final.
Talk about total B/S.
Lew
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:09:25 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Dammit, Lew, I find myself agreeing with you all too often. I better go check the shelf life on my meds.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

It is a shame that you have not witnessed a miracle, I think you would quickly change your mind.

The SawStop demo doesn't count as a miracle, Leon.

LOL, Noo it does not.

The confluence of fortuitous circumstances does *not* constitute a miracle.

I have witnessed a miracle. A real one. Too bad this forum has a few people who would like to take potshots at the story if I told it. And we ain't talking Jesus' image in burnt toast here.

I have witnessed a miracle. A real one. Too bad this forum has a few people who would like to take potshots at the story if I told it. And we ain't talking Jesus' image in burnt toast here.
Your sister, me too. My sister just came home from the hospital and what happened to her this month shook some in our family.

No intention of taking pot shots at anyone's beliefs, but the miracles that involve images of Biblical personages leave me a little cold. No living person has any inkling of what anyone living in the 1st century C.E.may have looked like. The absolute most that any such image could resemble is what some medieval artist imagined such person would look like. Said artist, likewise having no knowledge of the physical appearance of said personages. But I find it hard to accept that the Semitic peoples of that time would actually look anything like the artistic renderings.
Of course, the images could be produced in replica of the artistic imaginations so that we would recognize them. But if that's the case, they can't be said to be true and accurate images of the actual person. And that doesn't seem quite kosher to me.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

More significantly, if you look at those images you realize that they could be anybody and in fact for most of them you have to work a bit at it before you even see a face. The fact is that humans seem to be hard-wired to see faces even where no faces exist.
Tom Veatch wrote:

We do have contemporaneous images of real people available. Coins, statuary, etc., dating from the time of the actual person depicted. Many great worthies even posed for the reproduction.
Still, you're right. I've never heard of the face of Nero, or even Chester A. Arthur, appearing in a cut cantelope.
HeyBub wrote:

If you want to see what people living around the time of Christ looked like, google "fayoum portraits". The first time I saw one I was gobsmacked--I'd never imagined that paintings of that quality had been preserved from that time, or that that degree of realism was even used in paintings then.

"Leon" wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Spare me.
Lew

I will, you have to want to believe before you can see the obvious.