Re: OT: Any plumbers in the rec?

Page 2 of 2

wrote in

Even though he wrote on his invoice that he did not reconnect it, he did reconnect it. He also wrote in big print that he and his company was not responsible in case of damage or death.
Interesting thing, it's been almost 2 days now and I have not smelled anything unusual. Maybe he inadvertently fixed the leak when he put everything back together. I also ran water down every drain just to be sure.
So far so good.
JIC anyone thinks I'm playing Russian roulette here, the absolute worse smell was an instant whiff and then nothing. Not even as much as you get when you turn on a stove and the pilot takes a second or two longer before ignition. I guarantee that if I *smelled* gas, I'd call gasco asap.
Vic
"Vic Baron" wrote

Know the feeling. I called the gas company out last year for a similar incident. They brought "the sniffer" and could find nothing, even though the next door neighbor's wife and I could both stand in that one particular spot and get a big whiff of "gas". During the week I'm staying at a friends house in Austin, TX while I build in the vicinity. This older, remodeled house has a small, but detectable gas leak, I guarantee it ... but I seem to be the only one who can smell it.
As Mom was wont to say, maybe it's coming up our collars? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

hmm.. never even heard of a gas fitter.. I California it was just a plumber's licence.. They do both..
Would you need 2 service calls for a water heater installation, a plumber and a gas fitter?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Vic Baron wrote:

If you use vegtable oil instead of water (it only takes about a cup), you wont have to keep repeating the process as it wont evaporate. That's what I finally had to my unused traps in my basement.
Lance

About four years ago, I added a gas water heater. The plumber then did the (code required) leak test. 10 psi for 15 minutes. He and his partner spent the next two days chasing leaks in the 60 year old cast iron pipes. They did not have to replace anything, just refit some of the connections. The net cost was $1600. Neither my wife nor I smelled anything.
So I'd say it is quite likely you have the leaks, you ought to get them fixed, and you ought to find someone else to do it.
-- Doug

I believe that the ability to smell some kinds of odorants is genetically determined. Some people can smell it/them, some can't.
--
Best regards
Han

Han, Where do yo live where there were cast iron gas pipes? Just curious.

I was NOT the one posting about cast iron pipes, that was Douglas Johnson, so asking me about cast iron gas pipes can't get you an answer. I live now in North Jersey. Before lived just outside Queens on Long Island. In both houses I think we have (had) black iron gas pipes. Sorry to disppoint.
--
Best regards
Han

Sorry for the misdirected question. Funny though - I lived in Tennessee and Texas almost all my life before moving out here to Las Vegas The first 6 years of my life: Born in Parsons Hospital . . . moved to Mineola. Went back during 9-1-1 on work assignment with Sheriff's Dept. for the first time in over 40 years. Had to go back a couple months later for Christmas ~ still have family up there. My dad was a volunteer fireman in Mineola and took a tour of the old Station house on Jericho Turnpike. A LOT of changes after that much time. However, the original house was still there.

I ived in Floral Park, near Belmont Racetrack, almost right under the flight path to Kennedy. Oh could those little Concorde planes rattle the windows!
--
Best regards
Han

That was me and it was a brain fart. I meant black iron. -- Doug

That does seem more logical, Doug. No problem for me, and I believe not for Jimmy Mac either.
--
Best regards
Han