RE: Only The Brits

Saw a headline from one of the daily London rags:

BASTARDS.

Says a whole bunch about the British resolve if you ask me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

LOL! Yes, it does.

I really wish I knew where you found that headline.

Reply to
Dhakala

Ah-ha! The Daily Star, July 8.

Reply to
Dhakala

It's a national tabloid newspaper, not just available in London...

Sums it up rather well I think...

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters

I believe it was Churchill who said: ( I recite from memory..)

"The worse they get, the better WE get."

Reply to
Robatoy

Brits tend to have better headlines than the US. I thought it was very good.

OTOH, I saw the Queen visiting the injured. Have they not suffered enough?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, she should have gone before chaz and his fluzee, then they could have pretended to be asleep!

Reply to
Badger

We like the Queen. It's the offspring and hangers-on we don't care for.

In the '80s I carried a card in my wallet, as did many others. It was a facsimile of the standard organ donor consent card, but this one said "In the event of a major accident, I do not want Margaret Thatcher to pose next to my bedside."

You'll note that Blair has been light on his visiting the injured duties. Now _he'd_ be lynched on the spot.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm in awe of this site...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

For sure it would never appear in a US news(?)paper as the liberals would be crying about the use of the word and less about the events that led to its use. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Well, someone in another group told me a San Francisco newspaper used the same headline on Sept. 12, 2001. :-)

Reply to
Dhakala

Thanks for the link. Some gems on there.

Mark & Juanita

He really must be more careful with whom he sleeps.

Reply to
Robatoy

Whoa! I didn't know SF was a center of neo-con sentiment. Oh. Right. It's probably the most liberal city in the U.S.

Mr. DeBoos seems to be suffering from hardening of the preconceptions.

Reply to
Charlie Self

They might well have, but then SF has always traveled to the beat of a different drum than the majority of the US. It's really sad that such things have to occur, the terrorist attacks. I've traced my family roots back to 1796 in the UK. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Preconceptions my eye, personally observed facts! I love the city and think its beautiful, but... I don't live there but have visited many times, however no matter how you slice it, SF travels to the beat of a different drum - period. SF is one of a few cities that could get away with posting BASTARDS on their papers, the rest of this country would have a freaking heart attack! John

Reply to
John DeBoo

John, you're kinda off-base. Don't forget that the "them" you're so sore at are the wanton heathens, and your beloved conservatives are the law-and-order straight-laced moralists who don't care for naughty words and love Jesus. It's alright to disagree with anyone you like, but try to keep track of what your good ol' boys are all about.

Reply to
Prometheus

The pertinent point Charlie was making had to do with preconceptions, which you deftly dance around. Starting with seeming sneering at "liberals", however you'd characterize such as a subset of humanity.

May I humbly request that you chill out, relax, and resume evolving?

Rather than liberal/conservative, you might split populations along progressive/reactionary lines. Good thing for progressives historically, or we'd still be bowing to the crown.

Given the current crop of reactionaries (W, Cheney, Rummy, Rove, ad nauseam) and the prospect of Secretaries of Faith and Propaganda, we need to muster all the progressives we can.

TTFN, J

Reply to
barry

snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote in news:1121113182.200591.116440 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's just names, right? It's always been "us" and "them".

Which changes, over time, no?

Patriarch, chillin'

Reply to
Patriarch

Perhaps better would be "statists", "libertarians" (with a small "l"). Your "progressives" are actually statists who would have been the ones advocating for the crown and stronger government control.

As opposed to the prior crop of numbed, unresponsive heads of state who were content to only voice verbal disapproval of various terrorist activities?

Mark & Juanita