RE: Only The Brits

Saw a headline from one of the daily London rags:
BASTARDS.
Says a whole bunch about the British resolve if you ask me.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

LOL! Yes, it does.
I really wish I knew where you found that headline.
Ah-ha! The Daily Star, July 8.
Dhakala wrote:

For sure it would never appear in a US news(?)paper as the liberals would be crying about the use of the word and less about the events that led to its use. John
John DeBoo wrote:

Well, someone in another group told me a San Francisco newspaper used the same headline on Sept. 12, 2001. :-)
Dhakala wrote:

Whoa! I didn't know SF was a center of neo-con sentiment. Oh. Right. It's probably the most liberal city in the U.S.
Mr. DeBoos seems to be suffering from hardening of the preconceptions.
Charlie Self wrote:

Preconceptions my eye, personally observed facts! I love the city and think its beautiful, but... I don't live there but have visited many times, however no matter how you slice it, SF travels to the beat of a different drum - period. SF is one of a few cities that could get away with posting BASTARDS on their papers, the rest of this country would have a freaking heart attack! John
Dhakala wrote:

They might well have, but then SF has always traveled to the beat of a different drum than the majority of the US. It's really sad that such things have to occur, the terrorist attacks. I've traced my family roots back to 1796 in the UK. John
The pertinent point Charlie was making had to do with preconceptions, which you deftly dance around. Starting with seeming sneering at "liberals", however you'd characterize such as a subset of humanity.
May I humbly request that you chill out, relax, and resume evolving?
Rather than liberal/conservative, you might split populations along progressive/reactionary lines. Good thing for progressives historically, or we'd still be bowing to the crown.
Given the current crop of reactionaries (W, Cheney, Rummy, Rove, ad nauseam) and the prospect of Secretaries of Faith and Propaganda, we need to muster all the progressives we can.
TTFN, J
snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote in

It's just names, right? It's always been "us" and "them".
Which changes, over time, no?
Patriarch, chillin'

Perhaps better would be "statists", "libertarians" (with a small "l"). Your "progressives" are actually statists who would have been the ones advocating for the crown and stronger government control.

As opposed to the prior crop of numbed, unresponsive heads of state who were content to only voice verbal disapproval of various terrorist activities?

John, you're kinda off-base. Don't forget that the "them" you're so sore at are the wanton heathens, and your beloved conservatives are the law-and-order straight-laced moralists who don't care for naughty words and love Jesus. It's alright to disagree with anyone you like, but try to keep track of what your good ol' boys are all about.
It's a national tabloid newspaper, not just available in London...
Sums it up rather well I think...
Graham

Brits tend to have better headlines than the US. I thought it was very good.
OTOH, I saw the Queen visiting the injured. Have they not suffered enough?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, she should have gone before chaz and his fluzee, then they could have pretended to be asleep!

We like the Queen. It's the offspring and hangers-on we don't care for.
In the '80s I carried a card in my wallet, as did many others. It was a facsimile of the standard organ donor consent card, but this one said "In the event of a major accident, I do not want Margaret Thatcher to pose next to my bedside."
You'll note that Blair has been light on his visiting the injured duties. Now _he'd_ be lynched on the spot.

He really must be more careful with whom he sleeps.
I'm in awe of this site...
<http://www.werenotafraid.com/
djb
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:48:20 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Thanks for the link. Some gems on there.

I believe it was Churchill who said: ( I recite from memory..)
"The worse they get, the better WE get."