Re: Old Codgers Only - SubTitle: Trifocals in the shop

Page 1 of 3

I am near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other, and have astigmatism to boot. I had a pair made with the middle distance part large, a little distance part at the top and a reading part at the bottom. They were very good, until my eyes changed enough that I needed a new prescription. I get mine made of polycarbonate, so they are safety glasses too. It is still a pain in the shop, and watching TV and reading the paper at the same time.
Getting old is better than the alternative.
Steve
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Thanks to all of you. I'll keep trying ... it's good to know that I am normal, in some respects, more or less.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

Forgot one detail. The first time I had them on I did not care for them. Went back the next day and they set them to sit 1 mm lower on my eyes and that did the trick. The progression starts that tiny bit lower for me over the "recommended" setting. Just something to think about and perhaps try.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Son-of-a-gun, what a timely "detail"!
Acting on your suggestion about placement (mine seem to work better up closer to my eyes than down on my nose), I've noticed that if I hold them hard against the bridge of nose with one finger they are _much_ better and I don't have to tilt my head nearly as far.
Many thanks for the postscript ... I think you may have saved the bacon with that one!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

I've been wearing trifocal progressives since last summer. It took me about 10 days to mostly get used to them, and now I rarely think about them.
Give it a month, would be my advice.
--
One site: <http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww links<http://www.woodenwabbits.com

I had to go to a separate pair of reading glasses three years ago for use with the computer. The optometrist told me that bifocals are generally long distance vision above and reading below which wouldn't help with the computer, so now I travel around with two pairs of glasses.
Getting older sucks!

Had the same problem. Progressive lens cured it. Worth a try. Most still give a money back guarantee if you don't like them.

But when you're reading, aren't you looking down? If so, that would make them not usable with a computer where you're looking ahead.
wrote in message news:%cAbe.649

The distance from the screen to my eyes is grater than from a book to my eyes. Just using my arm to screen, my elbow is just slightly bent. Pivoting to where I'd hold a book, it would be below my knees. That is why progressive is better in that the distance changes and so does the lens at that viewing angle. Works for me, could vary with different eyes/prescription combo.
"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

Wore contacts for 35 years (still do on stage when I play) and tried that ... it worked fine until the sun went down, or the lights were low, then I couldn't see a damn thing. I was surprised because when I was younger and kicking around the world I often lost one lens and had to go for months before I could get to a part of the world where I could order a replacement, and it never bothered me then ... AAMOF, in five years the army never snapped to the fact that I wore contacts. I even passed the eye exam of a flight physical in OCS, but they got me on the color blind test.
Growing old is like trying to keep an old car running ... about the time you fix one thing something else breaks. Not bitch'in mind you, I am more or less proud to have come this far.
Edwin's fix seem to help quite a bit. I wore these things in the shop for about three hours this afternoon and for awhile there I forgot I had them on ... that's progress, and the master plan, IIRC.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

OK Swing, what is it that you play?
I'm a converted Telecaster Jockey who runs a Martin D-28 these days (for about thirty-five years).
I brought the bottleneck with me from the Telly but don't use it as much as I once did - except when I see that little red headed girl, who gets me all fired up again, in several ways.
I've always been hoping that you were a gittar man (not a bass player) and certainly hope that you are not a keyboard man or a nasty percussionist (if you are - I have a lot of jokes to irritate you with).
The last place that I recorded at was Sigma Sound in Philly, and the Boardman was a gittarman, so things worked out just fine.
Of course, that was back when people still had eight tracks in their cars.
sigh...
It'd be OK if you were a drummer - a little disappointing - but Id'a wished that you was a real musician...
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

www.wildriverband.com (you figure it out)
Now that your worst fears are realized. :> , actually it is was once even worse than that - I played 5 string banjo in a working bluegrass band for many a year, and still pick a little guitar for fun, but bass has been my main axe for about 40 years, both upright and electric.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

Man, I'm gonna get me one a dem CD's!

Nah, it coulda been worser - ya could been a drummer.
(BTW I'd send ya the drummer jokes but I think that you're the one who posted them in the first place.)

I be likin' it when it's picked proper and the onliest time I hate it is when it's frailed by them damned Mummers, to the tune of Oh Dem Golden Slippers.

Well, I've always thought that a band could be topless but should never be bottomless.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Check your real e-mail.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

I can deal better with three different pair of glasses than I can with the headaches that come from trying to foucs through the various distortion zones in the 'corrective' lenses. And so I do.
What I wear for woodwork is also what I wear for use at the computer. People in the office think I'm ignoring them, but they are just fuzzy- looking, most of the time, beyond easy recognition if more than 30 or 40 feet away.
Good luck finding what suits you.
Patriarch
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:56:04 GMT, the inscrutable "David Merrill"

There is no such thing as quality in progressive lenses. They're all 80% bad. Only the "sweet spot" has correction. The rest is a blurred mess. BTDT, traded them in for bifocals + single-lens reading glasses.

You mean "least bad", don't you? My trial pair was from Varilux. Never again! (See my post from a year or two ago for details.)

This is extremely anti-ergonomic on the lesser side, extremely dangerous on the other, such as while driving. They effectively blur your peripheral vision, making the spotting of oncoming cars or any vision through the side mirrors impossible. No Effin' Way! I'd rather use a cell phone while driving. It's less dangerous. ;)
Bottom line: I abhor those $400 vision-limiting MoFos.
------------------------------------------------------------------- Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------------

That's essentially what my optometrist told me a few years back when I was having my eyes checked.

Everyone's eye are different, but I've never had those problems. I'd be looking for a new lab if I did because I don't have the problems you describe. I'm nearsighted 20/800 or so and have a strong prescription. YMMV. About 15 years ago I had a problem with my new glasses. The eye doctor swore it was OK and would not correct them. I went to a different ophthalmologist and he called the first one who fixed things rather than answer to a review board.
I started wearing bifocals seventeen years ago. Regular trifocals came six years later. If you participate in an activity that requires a non standard focal length of middle lenses, TELL your doctor. They can design/order a special lense. I am in a musical group where the music is 28 inches from my eyes, this is considerably different from the standard fifteen inch focal length of middle lense. I have never experienced the problems mentioned in this thread. Find a good doctor that will custom design what you need. It usually takes at least a week for lenses to come in. You won't get these types of prescriptions with the one hour service labs.
Bill in WNC mountains
:-]>

Didn't we all have this conversation a few months back?
Had to go to tri's when I was still driving OTR. SWMBO talked me into going to Varilux. +)_(*()^^&%$#$#
Learned immediately that when I was trying to bend the trailer around a corner to get into the dock that I couldn't see a darn thing!(leaning out the door looking back, as trailer end is already out of mirror range) Take 'em off and throw 'em on the passenger seat until done!
Biggest problem now is getting a crick in the neck trying to tilt head back far enough to see the monitor. I've been thinking about getting a pair of those reading glasses just to leave by the computer.
--
Nahmie