Re: OK, I give up: what is a "registered" chisel?

David writes: [ nothing, just a subject line ]

A registered chises has a kind of flange at it's tang, just at the point where the tang enters the handle. This flange (or bolster) is there to bear the brunt of the axial force exertet on the tang-handle joint when the chisel is heavily hammered on. Usually there is a leather washer between this flange and the handle to somewhat dampen the impact (writing this sentence, i somehow start to question the logic behind this: Why would you want to lessen the impact of the hammer to the chisel blade?). This kind of contruction is most often found in mortice chisels because they have to take a lot more force than most other chisel types.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Thank you for the primer and so quickly, too! I had visions of serial numbers etched into the shanks and a database like DMV.

dave

Reply to
David

There is another definition of "registered chisel", where the sides are square (ie. "registered") to the bottom. This is distinct from a "bevelled chisel" where the sides are beveled. Typically this kind of "registered chisel" is thinner than a full-on mortise chisel.

Then there's yet another theory

that says "The term "Registered" Chisel has its roots in the fact that up until modern times, unique handle designs were often "registered" with the British government for copyright protection.".

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

It doesn't lesson the impact, but rather acts as a shock absorber to spread it out over time.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

This may not be right, but I was always taught that the leather washer was to help keep the handle from splitting as the chisel was hit. It dampens the effect of the wood striking metal at the tang shoulder.

Reply to
Charles Self