Re: Oak bench top

I never see oak used for a laminated bench top, is there a reason that it is

> an unsuitable wood for a bench slab? > >

It's OK, but it can be a little brittle. Maple is not as brittle. I've heard of people using oak successfully, so if you got a cheap supply, it should be OK.

Reply to
Eric Lund

When you pound on oak, it tends to separate along the early/late wood lines. Splinters. Not my first choice, that's for sure.

Reply to
George

Ok, I see the problem now. However, my local lumber yard only has pine, oak, and poplar. Where or who is a good resource for rough maple?

Reply to
Marc

Reply to
Lenny

What he said, or go about fifty miles away from any big city and ask for sawmills.

Suitable, in my opinion are maple, beech and birch.

Reply to
George