Re: Oak bench top

It's OK, but it can be a little brittle. Maple is not as brittle. I've heard of people using oak successfully, so if you got a cheap supply, it should be OK.
When you pound on oak, it tends to separate along the early/late wood lines. Splinters. Not my first choice, that's for sure.

Ok, I see the problem now. However, my local lumber yard only has pine, oak, and poplar. Where or who is a good resource for rough maple?

Often times what lumber yards stock and what they "can get" are two different things. You might ask about special ordering some. Where are you located ?
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:53:53 GMT, "Marc"

What he said, or go about fifty miles away from any big city and ask for sawmills.
Suitable, in my opinion are maple, beech and birch.