RE: O/T: Ya Never Know

Just called to talk to one of my principles about a quote and was told he had a heart attack and dropped dead last week.
He was a man in his mid 70's and was very active both in his business and his personal life which included competitive pistol shooting.
He was a health nut but hated hospitals and most of the medical profession.
For someone who tried to take care of himself and thought he had a strong immune system as a result of taking OTC pills and herbs, his death came as quite a shock, especially since he was very physically trim.
Ya never know.
Time is passing, don't waste it.
Lew
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:33:44 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

There is an older guy that lives a few miles from me that built his own casket, it stays propped against the wall in his living room.
Very nice as such things go, black walnut with brass handles and trim.
I had the occasion to ask him why he built and displayed it. His answer was that, "It kept him in touch with how short life was and to not live foolishly". He built it in his 40"s, he is in his 80"s now, it must be working.
basilisk
On 2/13/2013 3:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

My Dad, who is turning 90 this year, only complaint when I picked him up at the airport to take him back to the ranch after a two week trip to CO a couple of weeks back, was that just about everyone he knew was dead, or incapable of talking on the phone.
He and his older brother, who is 95, do talk on the phone, but apparently can only understand each other if they speak French ... go figure.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Swingman" wrote:

As my mother said when she hit 90, "Most of my peers are gone." -----------------------------------------------------

Doesn't surprise me.
Lew

My mother turned 94 last month. She still drives, lives alone in a rambler with a yard. Her last high school reunion only had about 4 people. She plays 18 holes of golf a week and the women at the club have adopted her as their goal. Also does Tai Chi for her balance.
Mike M

That's great. Mine turns 90 later this year and is doing the same. She keeps surprising me with what she can do.

I do T'ai Chi and learned to teach it. Can't convince my mother, or others, to try it but I figure it may be all I can do later in life.
`Casper
I thought I was healthy, living an active life.... and all that jazz! My profession was in the medical field.... protected and safe, right? Wrong!
Looking back, I think my diet wasn't the greatest and this greatly increased my risks for clogged arteries. I was forced to retire at age 49, after a mild stroke. There is no one root cause for a stroke, though.
Maybe I should have learned more French, but I can still hum the tunes, pretty well.
Sonny
On 2/14/2013 10:42 AM, Sonny wrote:

my risks for clogged arteries. I was forced to retire at age 49, after a mild stroke. There is no one root cause for a stroke, though.

Mais cher ... wit all dem crawfish and gumbo, no damn wonder we clog de plumbin', hah?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:40:09 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Exactly.
Holly Klegg has a spot on the US Farm Report/Louisiana Edition, airs every Saturday and Sunday mornings, where she serves up a dish-of-the-day. I've taken note of her recipes, from time to time.
http://www.hollyclegg.com/about.cfm
Sonny
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I'm reminded of a lyric from the song "Three Jolly Coachmen", sung by the Kingston Trio.
Here's to the lad who drinks dark ale, He goes to bed quite mellow,
Here's to the lad who drinks dark ale, He goes to bed quite mellow,
He lives as he ought to live, Lives as he ought to live,
Lives as he ought to live, And dies a jolly good fellow.
Here's to the man who drinks water pure, and goes to bed quite sober,
Here's to the man who drinks water pure, and goes to bed quite sober,
He falls as the leaves do fall, Falls as the leaves do fall,
Falls as the leaves do fall, He'll die before October.
Lew