RE: O/T: Time Will Tell

Page 1 of 3
I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma P/U truck with 128,000 miles on it.
Today it started running "Rough" so stopped by my mechanic to have it checked out.
Turns out that a spark plug wire had shorted out.
An after market set of four (4) wires were $48 while wires from Toyota were $83.
Looks like a straight forward decision, after market parts are the way to go, but there is one more piece of information that is needed to be known.
The original wires lasted 90,000 miles with no problems when they were changed out with an after market set of wires which only lasted 38,000 before failure.
Based on that information, the Toyota set of wires for $83 looks like the best deal, and they were installed.
Time will tell if I made the correct decision.
Lew
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:50:22 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I had a '93 Eagle Vision TsI that threw a set of wires every fall[*]. The difference between the aftermarket and OEM wires was ~$20 ($80 vs. $100, IIRC). The kicker was that *every* brand of aftermarket wire had insulators that were 1/4" too long. The OEM ones fit.
Every year I'd go through the game of trying to convince the guys at the parts stores that their wires really didn't fit ("See! "They're TOO LONG!").
[*] Turns out that the plug gap spec on the engine label was wrong. It specified a .062" gap, which I thought was a little big, but "what the heck...". The gap *should* have been .035". Doubling the spark wasn't doing the wires any good. :-(

Typical American Shitbox, they couldn't even get the label right.
--
Jeff

Certainly not typical. Chrysler makes a special class of shit box.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 23:18:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Actually I think it's Fiat now. But yeah, it's a shit box.

It "threw" a set of wires???

Ate them? Um, they "failed"?

Ok, failed is good.. Lots of non car people get the terminology mixed up. Typically an engine will throw " belts". I was a bit confused.
On 12/23/2013 8:50 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Geez you don't drive much. My 2004 cars are over 190k. My 2010 is at 64k... and that's with lots of unemployed time.

--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ After averaging 35-40,000 miles/year for over 35 years, I retired.
Today, I drive less than 2,000 miles/year and don't miss it at all.
Lew
On 12/23/2013 7:19 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I gave a 2000 Ford Ranger to my grandson this year. Had 60K miles on it. Barely broken in. Insurance is quite a bit cheaper.
On 12/25/2013 6:13 PM, jo4hn wrote:

If he is like my grandson it will be gone in a few months anyway.

My 2001 Ranger went to the great used parts store in the sky, six months ago. The real (leaf) spring mounts and where the attached to, simply vanished. ...and some don't believe salt is bad for you. ;-)
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:39:32 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Sounds to me like you've just convinced yourself to buy Festool.
<Evil Grin>
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Speaking of higher prices, I received the 2014 Grizzly catalog today and they are. Even higher than the regular prices shown at their web site. I can't blame them, but gee...
On 12/24/2013 3:06 AM, Bill wrote:

I was looking at their web site and thought the prices were higher than the past. They are starting to price themselves at higher end pricing. Not yet at the prices for jet but getting there.
--
Jeff

There is a reason that Toyota is one of the most reliable brand vehicles on the planet. Toyota does not use after market parts to manufacture their vehicles. I think you made the right decision Lew. Other brand vehicles, maybe not.
I in another life made my living exclusively with selling parts and repairs and warranty work on GM vehicles.
When I was the service sales manager for an Olds dealer I was once advised by the Oldsmobile service hot line to use aftermarket parts to solve a brake problem on a customers vehicle while it was still under warranty.
Our warranty department literally had hundreds of parts, replaced under warranty, waiting to be inspected by an Olds service rep. Our next door Toyota dealer had 3 items waiting to be inspected.
Our latest Toyota vehicle that my wife drives has about 15,000 miles on it and is 16 months old. We have yet to have any warranty work performed on it.
On 12/24/2013 4:56 AM, Leon wrote:

on my third Hyundai Sonata since 2007. First two had 70k, present is 30k. No warranty work. Meantime my Buick was just falling apart in the driveway.
On 12/24/2013 7:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a 1976 Dodge Aspen I got 200k on it before I got rid of it. I have had a 52 Ford, a 68 Buick, 73 Buick, and several GM vans, and never had less than 150 miles on any or them. I have never had any problems except batteries, tires, and a couple of alternators.
I consider a car with 70k just broke in and ready for the next 100k of trouble free driving.
On 12/24/2013 7:56 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

At 70k my Buick was not broken in, just broke. Transmission, heated seat, climate control, brake lines, dash lights, steering wheel controls and more. Had I known you loved cars like that I'd have given it to you. I did give it away as I felt it unethical to sell it.
At two years and 40k miles the seat heater burned out. To have it fixed, dealer wanted $672 to replace the entire seat bottom, not just the element. Since it was under the 3 years but over the miles, I asked GM for some help. They would give me $500 off if I bought a new car. Last GM car for me.