RE: O/T: Software

Looking for some guidance.

Running FireFox on XP.

Can minimize FireFox with no problem.

When I restore from the minimize position after some period of time, usually an hour or so, get a complaint that FireFox is not responding.

This requires that I close out FireFox, then reload and things are hunky-dory.

Any ideas where to start to solve this problem?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Have you got the latest updates? I just got a new update today. Mostly I use Chrome which runs way faster than Firefox but I do have to use Firefox on some web sites.

Reply to
Leon

Disable ALL add-ons and see if the problem persists.

If it does, do a complete uninstall, hard reboot the computer and a complete reinstall of the latest version.

See what happens and THEN begin adding your add-ons (if any) one by one, holding your breath each time to see if the symptoms come back.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I think there's a reasonable chance the problem could be related to power management settings (in Windows, or in the BIOS (hardware)).

I have encountered the problem. I got to task manager (++), and close the offending application. That takes care of it without restarting the computer (not sure if you were going that route).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Perhaps a switch to Chrome? Chrome runs fine in XP.

Try disabling the plugins, they can be problematic in FF. Flash can be a crasher and Chrome handles those crashes better. Memory leaks?, dunno for sure.

I'm a web developer, so I have a wide variety of browsers, FireFox just doesn't seem to be the animal it used to be.

Jeff

I'd rather not jump out of Microsoft's bed into Google's[*]. I'll stick with Firefox.

[*] Apple vs. Google (cell phones) isn't a lot of choice, IMO.
Reply to
krw

Google bought the old Motorola cell phone division (Motorola Mobility) after Mot split into Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions.

If you're talking about Android phones, Android is Linux based.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

It also owns Android.

Irrelevant.

Reply to
krw

I use the main search page on Google for my opening page in Firefox. I use Google as my main search engine. So when I open Firefox, it is ready for a search.

I export my wife's book marks and she use that for her home page.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I have found that overloaded sent box, delete box, in box, and other storage area's have created issues for me. When I dump everything, it works fine. just me. john

Looking for some guidance.

Running FireFox on XP.

Can minimize FireFox with no problem.

When I restore from the minimize position after some period of time, usually an hour or so, get a complaint that FireFox is not responding.

This requires that I close out FireFox, then reload and things are hunky-dory.

Any ideas where to start to solve this problem?

Lew

Reply to
jloomis

Especially getting rid of messages that you have read.... john

Looking for some guidance.

Running FireFox on XP.

Can minimize FireFox with no problem.

When I restore from the minimize position after some period of time, usually an hour or so, get a complaint that FireFox is not responding.

This requires that I close out FireFox, then reload and things are hunky-dory.

Any ideas where to start to solve this problem?

Lew

Reply to
jloomis

Not irrelevant if you're comparing M$ and Google phones.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Of course it is. It doesn't matter a whit where Android comes from, it is *NOT* Linux. I wasn't really, but that part is apt, anyway.

Reply to
krw

The Android interface is most certainly built on top of the linux kernel. There are may interfaces that run on top of the linux kernel, KDE, GNOME, XFCE,....

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Oh, good grief, another Linux junky. "The world is Linux!!!!"

Reply to
krw

I noticed you didn't refute my statement. As Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men"... :-)

And yes, been using linux since 1995.

And yes, the internet is run mostly on linux servers on all types of hardware from Pea Seas up to and including IBM mainframes, not to mention most infrastructure hardware.

Doug Winterburn

Why would I refute irrelevance. Your whole argument is.

Idiot.

Idiot.

Irrelevant.

Reply to
krw

Ah, another M$ fan boi...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Idiot. There are none so blind as the true believer.

Reply to
krw

Ain't *that* the truth!

Reply to