RE: O/T: SENIOR TRYING TO SET PASSWORD

People use the cloud mostly because they want the same data to be accessible on their PC and their smartphone.

Those of us who don't use smartphones don't get much benefit from it. The rest of us do.

I at one time had occasion to make extensive use of Microsoft OneDrive, and found it very convenient for the purpose--the neatest, and scariest thing about it was that if I needed a file from my machine at home, I could go into it from work and get the file--not into what was on the cloud, but any file on the machine that was available to the username under which I had logged in.

Now I don't really use it much at all--on the new job everything work related is done on the company machine (actually it's mostly done on a mainframe--not a PC server but the real deal) and the home machine is for play again.

Back when I was helping people look for jobs, I did show people how to use Google Drive mostly because they kept losing the flash drives with their resumes on them. I should have looked into cloud-based password banks--they had to remember a password for every employer to whom they applied and it was frustrating for everyone when they forgot one--with the password bank the password and login for that could have gone in their file and the rest into the password bank.

I'm just thinking out loud here by the way, not really advocating this or that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Because 99.99999% of the people using the cloud based program are of absolutely no interest to the hackers. The instant you connect to the internet, your whole computer is vulnerable, if a hacker thinks that what you have is of any value to him. It is very likely that cloud based set ups are much more secure and harder to get into than your computer at home.

If that makes you feel better that is all that counts.

Reply to
Leon

Don't be so sure of that. Good hackers can find basic info fast and if cloud users store credit card numbers, for instance, a hacker can purchase much before it's noticed.

Meanie

There will always be that .00001% that get hacked with something to loose. There are bigger fish in the sea than me.

Reply to
Leon