RE: O/T: SENIOR TRYING TO SET PASSWORD

Page 1 of 2
Enjoy
Lew -----------------------------------------------------
WINDOWS: Please enter your new password.
USER: cabbage
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
USER: boiled cabbage
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
USER: 1 boiled cabbage
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.
USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.
USER: 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAss!
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.
USER:
ReallyPissedOff50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUp YourAssIfYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.
Thanks Lew! I resemble the User from time to time. Just tell me the xxx rules! Really.
Martin
On 7/17/2015 7:40 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Senior? Stupid password rules affect most of us in exactly the same way. It gets so bad sometimes that the only thing you can do is write them down.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 7/18/2015 3:54 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I put them in a addon call Quicknote in Firefox. With them there I can pop open Quicknote and copy the needed ID and password to the proper space on the logon screen. It is much easier that having pieces of paper spread around the area where you use you computer
On 7/18/2015 6:52 AM, knuttle wrote:

[snip]

Best damn password manager going is RoboForm. $19/year and you can sync it to all devices you use and you only have to remember a master password. Also functions as a great bookmark organizer, etc.
Financial password needed? It will automatically generate and save one for you. How about "YJD4cIk3vEZ04^1kRMa$Co5"?
That'll keep your info safe.
Check it out, read the reviews from the computer "experts" and you'll see what a deal it is. I'd be lost without it.

Keepass is free. It's a hell of a good program.
--
Jeff

On 7/18/2015 4:52 PM, woodchucker wrote:

[snip]

Apples and oranges, Woodchucker.
Roboform works across multiple platforms Win/Android/Mac/iOS/Linux. Can be used with storage in an encrypted local DB (like Keepass) but most, including moi, utilize the utility of being able to store your encrypted password DB in a "secure" cloud and have it constantly syncing with your various devices. Is the difference in utility worth $19/year? Depends on what you use it for. I use much of its utility and with >1,100 bookmarks alone (easily searchable) that I use in my work, it is obviously a must have for me.
One thing I would be a bit leery of is its track record. It appears that Keepass has only been available for less than one year whereas Roboform has been "use tested" and evaluated for, I think, ten years or more.
Not saying Keepass is not as good, but it takes some seasoning before I'll put a lot of trust in it and prefer the utility of Roboform
In any event, if you conduct business over the internet, a password keeper of some sort is a no-brainer. A different, exceedingly difficult/lengthy password for each financial account is smart. Password keepers allow for this and make it easy to stay safe.

I use roboform. I have been using it for 10+ years and I remember it in the 90's, IIRC.

You are obvioulsy dazed an unquetionably confused. I have been using Keepass for many years. The nice thing is not being cloud based. I don't want a cloud based solution.

--
Jeff

On 7/19/2015 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

FWIW Roboform can be used with "OUT" cloud based integration, that flavor is what I use and it is basically a one time fee until you need to upgrade, like most all other software.
On 7/19/2015 2:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Amen to that. I'm still confused why many people use cloud base programs. Many cloud base programs get hacked and you can bet password programs are on the list of hackers.
I don't use cloud anything and I'm fine with doing everything on my own.

People use the cloud mostly because they want the same data to be accessible on their PC and their smartphone.
Those of us who don't use smartphones don't get much benefit from it. The rest of us do.
I at one time had occasion to make extensive use of Microsoft OneDrive, and found it very convenient for the purpose--the neatest, and scariest thing about it was that if I needed a file from my machine at home, I could go into it from work and get the file--not into what was on the cloud, but any file on the machine that was available to the username under which I had logged in.
Now I don't really use it much at all--on the new job everything work related is done on the company machine (actually it's mostly done on a mainframe--not a PC server but the real deal) and the home machine is for play again.
Back when I was helping people look for jobs, I did show people how to use Google Drive mostly because they kept losing the flash drives with their resumes on them. I should have looked into cloud-based password banks--they had to remember a password for every employer to whom they applied and it was frustrating for everyone when they forgot one--with the password bank the password and login for that could have gone in their file and the rest into the password bank.
I'm just thinking out loud here by the way, not really advocating this or that.
On 7/19/2015 7:32 PM, Meanie wrote:

Because 99.99999% of the people using the cloud based program are of absolutely no interest to the hackers. The instant you connect to the internet, your whole computer is vulnerable, if a hacker thinks that what you have is of any value to him. It is very likely that cloud based set ups are much more secure and harder to get into than your computer at home.

If that makes you feel better that is all that counts.
On 7/20/2015 10:21 AM, Leon wrote:

Don't be so sure of that. Good hackers can find basic info fast and if cloud users store credit card numbers, for instance, a hacker can purchase much before it's noticed.
http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/5215-dangers-cloud-computing.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-12-19/how-long-can-cloud-servers-hold-off-hackers-not-as-long-as-you-think
On 7/20/2015 4:33 PM, Meanie wrote:

There will always be that .00001% that get hacked with something to loose. There are bigger fish in the sea than me.
Sync - send to the cloud for someone to hack. Tricky stuff.
Martin I use multiple colors in my ink well. Each time I refill I'll pick a different color. From red to peacock blue Navy to black. Complex color is developed and is different but can be identified. Security.
Martin

On 7/18/2015 11:01 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

People get carried away with this password thing. There are some areas where you must have a very secure passwords, and others where it does not matter.
Those that must have a very secure passwords are those that has to do with your money or assess. With these sites you do not want anyone else to have access. Buy even with these, there are ones that are more critical than others. Any site where you can add or subtract from your assets are more critical than those where you can only review your assets. If some one gets into these sites, your world could literally end, as you try to recoupe your losses.
Email would be the next most serious, but unless you are working on a replacement for gasoline, if some one gets into it, the consequences would only be a major hassel.
Then there are the sites where the password is more for the site to control access, than it is for your account security. Does it really matter if someone uses your password to get into your Garden Web site. Is it really going to be that big of disaster to access the news site of your favorite newspaper? What about using you password to get into the local genealogy site?
The security of the password must be gaged to the sensitivity of the data that is available on the site.

+1
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lastpass-password-manager-hacked/
On 7/19/2015 7:10 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

From the article:
Users most in danger of being personally hacked as a result of the breach, first detected Friday, are those who have committed one or both of these two cardinal sins of online safety: using a weak master password and reusing that password on multiple sites.
Bottom line is the cloud stored password files from LastPass, et al are safe unless you are not using a modicum of common sense which, as we all know, isn't...<g>
says...

If it really has to be secure you need more than one means of securing it. The old saying is "something you know, something you have, something you are". The most secure systems use all three. My employer uses two. I got a letter from my bank a few weeks ago saying that they were going to be sending me a smart card in the near future, so things are moving in that direction, slowly.