RE: O/T: San Onofre

Cause rockets blow up

Very good point. Even if it was one rocket in a thousand, it would be an environment disaster beyond catastrophic.

The cargo could be secured in a safe container, even the shuttles had parts that survived the crashes and blow ups.

But it would be containment built by the lowest bidder, cutting cost increase profits.
On 6/8/2013 11:09 AM, PV wrote:

power out of existence, there would be no waste to bury. It is against the law to try to reclaim nuclear waste.
If the Chemist and Physicist had been allowed to solve the problem in the last 40 years, the raw material that we are currently are burying from nuclear plants would be used to produce additional energy.
On 6/8/2013 7:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Here is a general article about the technology of processing materials coming from a nuclear plant.
Because of Jimmy Carter, a knowledgeable democrat, it can not be used in the US.
On 6/8/2013 8:11 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Keith Nuttle wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/cwire/2009/05/18/18climatewire-is-the-solution-to-the-us-nuclear-waste-prob-12208.html?pagewanted=all Far from a definitive solution to the problem plus it's 4 years old, and in the meantime the stockpile of waste continues to grow but that's okay and you can ship it somewhere else to be disposed of while you enjoy dependable air conditioning
--
PV

If you could choose one characteristic that would get you through life,
On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 08:34:00 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I used to be a strong supporter of nuclear power. Then I did some software for a couple of nuclear plants. After listening to the managers and watching the "trained" people for a couple of months, I changed my mind.
carrying a cross.
On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 15:35:58 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

So, what did you see? People lurching from one problem to another?
On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 13:09:22 -0400, none wrote:

How about doors to critical areas locked with a keypad, but no way to tell how many entered or left on a single actuation?
How about spills that were marked with tape on the floor instead of cleaned up. They did get cleaned up shortly before a congressional visit - at least the tape went away.
How about monitoring software whose consoles were left unmanned?
Operators were only required to have a high school diploma (or GED). Do you know how easy it has been to get a diploma in the last 20-30 years?
carrying a cross.
On 6/8/2013 8:25 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

sent to all consoles so all consoles would not need be manned.
The problem with many people in the US is they run of and make critical decision without a complete knowledge of the situation.
How many times have you heard people complaining about a company making a billion dollars profit, and do not consider the fact that the company has 50 billion in sales, or making 2% profit.
On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 07:44:08 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I think your second sentence explains your first one quite well :-).
carrying a cross.
On 6/9/2013 6:44 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

LOL Really, My sister and her son have both been involved in their own small businesses. My sister gets by but her son has never been successful. Both have bragged about their yearly sales, which BTW is about equal to an average gross salary. What they don't realize I am wondering is how much their cost of materials and cost of doing business is coming out of those sales. If you have $60,000 in sales and your cost is $45,000 can you live on $15,000 per year?
On 6/8/2013 10:35 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Ever think it might have been the software? :~)
On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 13:14:03 -0500, Leon wrote:

No, because it never got used. We were informed that the NRC required it, therefore they had to have it - but they had no intention of using it.
That's when I started getting worried.
carrying a cross.
@swbelldotnet says...

Sounds more like the problem was wetware at several stages of the decision making process.

I wonder if California's over the top restrictions and regulations are the source of the problems. I mean really, my new yard sprinkler which is also sold in California has to have cancer warning labels because something in it may or may not cause cancer in "1 in 1,000,000,000,000" test critters.
The regulations seem to be so far fetched and absurd that a "legitimate" producer simply can not operate and make a profit. So what you end up with is a business environment that is too hostile for production. As a result it appears that the ones that do operate under the "California restrictions" and are producers of "whatever" probably hide the fact, or not, that they have to cut corners at every possible step. And because of the over bearing restrictions the businesses that could possibly do a better job and make a sustainable profit simply feel that life is too short to do business in California. This leaves you with the type of businesses you rant about, those that don't care about their image, those that will lie and hide what is really going on, those that do what ever it takes to make a profit and ride that pony for all it is worth until it gets caught.
I believe for many years Californians have believed that they live in heaven, a place where every thing can be made perfectly safe, clean, and with out hazard.
May I assure you, they are not in heaven and they are the recipients of enormous amounts of deception.. They have been sold a bill of goods which they cannot afford.
"Leon" wrote:

This was driven by the feds (NRC).
SCE finally realized they were not going to be able to stonewall this one away. -----------------------------------------------------------

Is there an echo chamber in here?
That's the standard line we keep hearing from the chief idiot sitting in your governor's chair, when he trys to raid a few marginal businesses under the guise of a "trade junket".
Regardless of all the bitching, California still has an economy that is in the world's top six economies.
Must be doing something right.
Lew
On 6/8/2013 6:26 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The Feds are not responsible for the restrictive regulations in California. In my experience with Regulation, California is many times more restrictive than the Feds or any other state regulations.
An example is trace contaminates in food and food substances. When I was working daily with regulations, California regulations were basically if you can detect a compound you must provide proof that it is safe. This is counter to the American law, which is that you are innocent until proof guilty. At least it was until 2008.