RE: O/T: Minnie Minoso RIP

Another one bites the dust at 89.

Minnie, "The Cuban Comet", broke into MLB with the Cleveland Indians in 1949, was traded to the Chicago White son in 1951 where he became a fan favorite.

He was the first black man to play for the White Sox.

He could do it all. Run and steal the bases, hit for distance as well as percentage, and was a pretty good outfielder.

Somehow he never made the hall of fame.

The Indians broke my heart when the traded Minnie, I was too young to appreciate the economics of major league baseball and Bill Veeck had left Cleveland for Chicago where he bought the White Sox.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Where was the shout out for Earl Lloyd, the first black man to play in the NBA?

DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- Seems like you missed an opportunity.

Lew