RE: O/T: Lake Effect Snow

Cleveland to Buffalo gets hammered.
Lake effect snow came early this year.
Time to put another log on the fire.
Lew
On 11/18/2014 4:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

But you have to admit that when it is white and sparkley it sure is pretty.
We live in Eastern Carolina, the only thing we get is cold depressing foggy days.
On 11/18/2014 4:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Glad I am in Toronto, just got a trace, but it is damn cold out there.
--
Froz...

On 11/18/2014 2:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You asked for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJNSWkgPr9g

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:01:51 -0500, FrozenNorth

About 6 inches on the ground down the road in Waterloo. A whole lot better than 40 inches in Buff.
On 11/18/2014 6:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep, just saw Buffalo on the news, all I can say is WOW glad I am not there. Less than an inch here.
--
Froz...

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

------------------------------------ Where is Jack Novak these days?
Need an on the ground pair of eyes.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------- Last time I remember the winter being this bad this early was the winter of 76-77 and 77-78.
Two nasty winters in a row was more than I wanted to handle and thus the migration to warmer climates went into planning mode.
Lew
On 11/19/2014 10:31 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Global warming, Lew.
Oh wait, you mean it happened before???
"Leon" wrote:

----------------------------------------- If you look at a map, you will see that Lake Erie has Toledo on the west and Buffalo on the east, a distance of approximately 240-250 miles with Cleveland being about 100 miles east of Toledo.
From Cleveland thru Erie to Buffalo the shoreline lies at about a 30-40 degree angle above horizontal.
This creates a natural funnel with Buffalo at the funnel spout.
When the westerly winds come in they have about 250 miles of open water to cross before the lake freezes over in the winter.
The cold air picks up the warm lake water and carries it ashore where the land rises sharply along the southern shore and the water vapor converts to snow and drops out thus gaining the name of the snow belt.
The whole thing is no more than 20 miles wide along the south shore of Lake Erie starting about 20 miles east of Cleveland and ending at Buffalo where the mother lode dumps on Buffalo.
Not uncommon to have to get up on the roof and shovel the snow off to keep the roof from collapsing at least once or twice a season.
Lew
On 11/20/2014 2:16 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yep, I am in Toronto, not that much further away slightly to the northeast, we have about an inch to an inch and a half.
--
Froz...

Calif. rainy this a.m. now blue sky and T-Shirt weather. stay warm.... john
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Cleveland to Buffalo gets hammered.
Lake effect snow came early this year.
Time to put another log on the fire.
Lew
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:51:43 -0500, FrozenNorth

And 60 miles west in Waterloo, about 6 inches, more or less.
On 11/20/2014 10:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And a friend in Parry Sound is buried.
--
Froz...

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 00:21:21 -0500, FrozenNorth

Yes, my brother on the county border between Huntsville and Parry Sound has a couple feet of snow on his property. Thankfully he has the new house all closed in and modt of the outside work (decks etc) finished. Hoping to get out of the trailer into the house before Christmas
On 2014-11-21 8:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can confirm the snowfall in Muskoka has been really high this week - 2+ feet over the last few days... The real pain is pile at the end of the driveway from the plows, but I guess I should be thankful the plow shows up regularly!
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- First the snow, then the rains must fall.
Lew
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 16:47:02 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
Hi Lew, I'm still here and still digging. Thanks for asking.
My neighborhood got over 58" (last I measured). I broke a 1/2" hardened steel shaft on the wheel drive assembly of my 10 HP snow blower. That was without hitting anything other than snow. Got almost everything cleared up now thanks to the 60 degree temps a day or so after.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I posted a picture of this month's snow storm to alt.pictures.woodworking. This is the first day I've had a chance to read the news group since it hit.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA